• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why only one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love UnderHammers myself. The problem is not the people hunting with what the State allows. I Insurance Companies pushing hard to thin all the deer herds. My State does not have a per say ML/Primitive weapon season. They allow all CF of certain caliber pistols for past 8 years.

It’s a shame how it’s changed. It’s not hunting and stalking as much as it’s just killing.
It goes in waves.

For example, when the longhunts were begun, there are stories of them simply sitting by a salt spring a dropping several deer each day, the game was so plentiful. That was pretty much hiking and killing,

Where I live, especially after COVID, the deer are so plentiful that a hunter is allowed 10 doe and two bucks per season, but to take two buck the hunter needs to take two doe after the first buck to qualify to use the second buck stamp. That's four deer. Yet, when I was a boy, the herd here in my county was much much smaller, it was one buck only, and most of the folks that were deer hunters didn't hunt in my county, and some even went to adjoining states.

Today, go 80 miles and four counties away, and the deer population is much different, and their you need to stalk or still-hunt, and you may only take three deer per year, and only one buck, YET the human population is much less dense than in my county where you can take a dozen deer.

LD

It goes in waves.

For example, when the longhunts were begun, there are stories of them simply sitting by a salt spring a dropping several deer each day, the game was so plentiful. That was pretty much hiking and killing,

Where I live, especially after COVID, the deer are so plentiful that a hunter is allowed 10 doe and two bucks per season, but to take two buck the hunter needs to take two doe after the first buck to qualify to use the second buck stamp. That's four deer. Yet, when I was a boy, the herd here in my county was much much smaller, it was one buck only, and most of the folks that were deer hunters didn't hunt in my county, and some even went to adjoining states.

Today, go 80 miles and four counties away, and the deer population is much different, and their you need to stalk or still-hunt, and you may only take three deer per year, and only one buck, YET the human population is much less dense than in my county where you can take a dozen deer.

LD
Must be in the Carolina’s (or the south)? It’s wild how I can limit the take of 2 deer on a property I hunt for populations stability, then drive 25 miles and see 30 deer feeding in an alfalfa field here in Kansas.

It’s a shame how it’s changed. It’s not hunting and stalking as much as it’s just killing.
It’s not just weapons, either. Baiting and food plots certainly have their place and wildlife benefits, but man it sure makes things easier. A lot could be said the same about ag fields, though. I don’t raise too much of a fuss over weapon upgrades, because it gets people out in the woods.

I grew up reading about Fred Bear and wanting to emulate him, on a smaller scale of course. But I get the compound bow. Still have to aim, still have hold steady. I owned one for years and 40 yards is plenty challenging and primitive enough for me. Crossbows now, that’s a different animal. Only place I see it is for older, and I mean old, bow hunters who can’t draw anymore. Like my cousin who switched. 70 something and hunted archery for thirty minutes Luis years. He gets to. But the heart of primitive season wasn’t to sell lots more tags, or sell lots of fancy new equipment. It was for outdoorsmen, real outdoorsmen to have a time when the woods weren’t full of yahoos (rant coming but you know who I mean and if you don’t and you’re offended, you might be who I mean) with their Cabelas catalog wardrobe still fresh from the box, this years top rated rifle and newest hottest round etc. My dad called them Sears and Roebuck hunters. Nothing wrong with having good gear, even the best gear, but for some people it isn’t the woods that matter. It’s the 4x4 Polaris to drive 400 yards to your stand so you can impress your buddies. I’m old enough now to be talking about back when but I do remember asking farmers for permission to hunt and getting it. That was before people took advantage, left trash, and left gates open pissing off a great resource. Or worse, someone paying big money to lease so that he could charge huge money to hunt. Elk hunts for $25000 and up. Tags going to guides and not people. Goose and duck hunts $500 a gun and up. Hunting has changed and I miss the chance to just get in the woods with a primitive firearm, my skill and experience against a very wary and alert opponent. I’m still new here and hope I didn’t go too far but this rant has been building. Thanks for your ear.
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you Charlie, but I'm going to make a few points of my own. I use a crossbow for archery season. I hunted with recurves and longbows for 30 years, lost vision in my left eye, my depth perception went south, and I couldn't in good conscious shoot at an animal if I wasn't sure I could make a good shot. Went to a compound for a couple of years, then got a neck injury, couldn't stand drawing the weight, even light weight bows. So, crossbow. Every deer I've killed with it I could have killed with a stick bow. If we're being honest, us hunters have a little bit of snob in us, no matter the season/weapon. Which may be a good thing. Black powder guys are no different. You use pyrodex, your side eyed, you hunt with a CVA, and not a few thousand dollar custom, your side eyed, you don't hunt with a flintlock, etc.. That's not the majority whatsoever, but it's there. So when WE buy hunting and fishing related items, it's OUR money per the Pittman-Robertson act that go to keep the wildlife and places to hunt going. Those with private land to hunt, God bless you. We all hunt for different reasons, look for different experiences, etc.. I'm not going to be the guy that says "you shouldn't be able to" (insert here). If it's legal, enjoy. In my opinion, television has ruined hunting, gimmick this and gimmick that, only can shoot 160 or better, blah blah blah. My favorite saying, "backstraps and tacos". I get mine with bolts, PRB's, and occasionally bullets. Good hunting to all, regardless of what you wear, or what you use, none of us are safe from the ANTI's. I think I had too much coffee.

The next thing you know some low lifes will be hunting with some kind of scoped bolt action rifle using smokeless powder and a jacketed bullet that technically can be called a muzzle loader just to take advantage of the muzzleloader season that is meant for folks who like to hunt like their ancestors did. That idea really sucks.
What makes them "low life's"? If we are honest, how many of us hunt like our ancestors? I don't own a horse, I have to drive my truck to Game Lands. I hunt with an aluminum tree stand, wear rubber boots. Guess I'm a low life. We are discussing this on the Internet, not ye olde pub. Most of us just prefer a certain type of weapon. Which is your right. Divided WE fall.

Right, thats my whole point, why the limitation? For what valid reason? If there is a valid reason that makes sense ,then I would understand.I'm just trying to understand why that would be.......
You should know by now that anything our elected politicians decide we need in the way a laws will be so screwed up it does little good. If you break one of their laws the judge at your trial wont know what to do but find you guilty and fine you.

Know someone who had a mountain lion getting ready to pounce him while he was tying his shoes bow hunting for turkey in the early am here in California. His spidey sense went off and he spun around just before it pounced. He made himself seem big, yelled and it fled. He went home for the day. As more and more of these encounters happen, I don't understand why a single hunter would not be allowed to carry a side arm for protection. The game wardens damn well know the difference in sound between a black power rifle and a pistol.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you Charlie, but I'm going to make a few points of my own. I use a crossbow for archery season. I hunted with recurves and longbows for 30 years, lost vision in my left eye, my depth perception went south, and I couldn't in good conscious shoot at an animal if I wasn't sure I could make a good shot. Went to a compound for a couple of years, then got a neck injury, couldn't stand drawing the weight, even light weight bows. So, crossbow. Every deer I've killed with it I could have killed with a stick bow. If we're being honest, us hunters have a little bit of snob in us, no matter the season/weapon. Which may be a good thing. Black powder guys are no different. You use pyrodex, your side eyed, you hunt with a CVA, and not a few thousand dollar custom, your side eyed, you don't hunt with a flintlock, etc.. That's not the majority whatsoever, but it's there. So when WE buy hunting and fishing related items, it's OUR money per the Pittman-Robertson act that go to keep the wildlife and places to hunt going. Those with private land to hunt, God bless you. We all hunt for different reasons, look for different experiences, etc.. I'm not going to be the guy that says "you shouldn't be able to" (insert here). If it's legal, enjoy. In my opinion, television has ruined hunting, gimmick this and gimmick that, only can shoot 160 or better, blah blah blah. My favorite saying, "backstraps and tacos". I get mine with bolts, PRB's, and occasionally bullets. Good hunting to all, regardless of what you wear, or what you use, none of us are safe from the ANTI's. I think I had too much coffee.
I think you misunderstood or I misspoke, if you have need and you sound like it, by all means. There should be allowances for disability to level the field and get people who otherwise couldn’t hunt hunting. Wisconsin even allows remote hunting, using your laptop from home to aim to and fire for quadriplegic hunters. I could be wrong on the state. Anyway, using a crossbow for example may be compared to senior tees in golf. You get older, lose distance but still want to compete, the course has adjustments to allow that. But you don’t want Rory McIlroy using them. Primitive season, is meant to handicap hunters with primitive weapons. Like everything in sports, someone sells a fix and what I consider a cheat. If your healthy and want to hunt primitive, then you shouldn’t get a high tech, scoped single shot capable of matching a 30-30 in performance.

Know someone who had a mountain lion getting ready to pounce him while he was tying his shoes bow hunting for turkey in the early am here in California. His spidey sense went off and he spun around just before it pounced. He made himself seem big, yelled and it fled. He went home for the day. As more and more of these encounters happen, I don't understand why a single hunter would not be allowed to carry a side arm for protection. The game wardens damn well know the difference in sound between a black power rifle and a pistol.
We can, and do in many places. But a handgun for defense doesn’t give the hunter unfair advantage in primitive season.

It’s not just weapons, either. Baiting and food plots certainly have their place and wildlife benefits, but man it sure makes things easier. A lot could be said the same about ag fields, though. I don’t raise too much of a fuss over weapon upgrades, because it gets people out in the woods.
This will get me in trouble but I’ve never hunted over a food plot outside of shooting doves on a Milo field. I’ve hunted waterfowl with decoys, birds with dogs, and made big game a fair game. I have hunted in Texas on a 20,000 acre ranch where i stalked and glassed, closing the gap for a reasonable shot. Hunting. Others there would sit by feeders waiting for the deer to hear the spreader and come running. Hunt how you want but to me that isn’t hunting. Certainly not sport. And I’m not talking about someone too old to move around here. Able bodied men. And don’t get me started on the trophy ranches, sitting in a heated cabin on stilts waiting for the pampered penned in buck who’s never been pushed or harassed to come to his morning feed. Like shooting cattle in the chute. No sir. I want to hunt where there is a fair (as fair as can be) contest.

This will get me in trouble but I’ve never hunted over a food plot outside of shooting doves on a Milo field. I’ve hunted waterfowl with decoys, birds with dogs, and made big game a fair game. I have hunted in Texas on a 20,000 acre ranch where i stalked and glassed, closing the gap for a reasonable shot. Hunting. Others there would sit by feeders waiting for the deer to hear the spreader and come running. Hunt how you want but to me that isn’t hunting. Certainly not sport. And I’m not talking about someone too old to move around here. Able bodied men. And don’t get me started on the trophy ranches, sitting in a heated cabin on stilts waiting for the pampered penned in buck who’s never been pushed or harassed to come to his morning feed. Like shooting cattle in the chute. No sir. I want to hunt where there is a fair (as fair as can be) contest.
Sounds like we hunt the same. Lots of Ag in Kansas, but I’ve never once sat on a designed food plot

Our muzzleloader hunting regulations specify:
A person hunting deer in a muzzleloader deer season shall not possess any firearms other than one single-barreled muzzleloading firearm, and shall not possess or substitute any archery equipment or crossbow while hunting deer under a muzzleloader deer hunting license.
Ok, so I guess my question is .........why are we not able to carry a ML long gun and one ML single shot pistol??? I'm sure historically (I'm guessing) that hunters would have been carrying at least that if not a couple of pistols. And would it not make sense to have a quick follow up shot so an animal wouldn't have to suffer while your reloading ,IF it wasn't a clean shot?? What am I missing, or am I just out of my mind?!?!?!
I don't know, but it seems like they make these laws for the worst case "what if" scenario, Like all hunters are looking to get away with something nefarious.
I made this, then learned that it is not legal to use during the M/L season.
IMG_0159.jpeg
IMG_0160.jpeg

I think the same about not being able to carry a pistol during archery season, even though in this state it takes a lot just to get a permit, let alone the double infringement of God given rights, but then that's going down a road best not traveled here.
Robin

I don't know, but it seems like they make these laws for the worst case "what if" scenario, Like all hunters are looking to get away with something nefarious.
I made this, then learned that it is not legal to use during the M/L season.
View attachment 307679View attachment 307680
I think the same about not being able to carry a pistol during archery season, even though in this state it takes a lot just to get a permit, let alone the double infringement of God given rights, but then that's going down a road best not traveled here.
Robin
Very nice, thats one sexy double flinter !!!

Latest posts

Back