• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why "age" newly made items?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asalufa

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Reading through all of these threads (and those on other forums) about making things, something puzzles me. I often see comments about applying stains etc to make something look older. But, these items in period would have started out new and aged with use. They look old now because they are old, not because they were made to look that way originally.

Why not let new things look new so they age with time, just like the originals did?

Mophair said:
Reading through all of these threads (and those on other forums) about making things, something puzzles me. I often see comments about applying stains etc to make something look older. But, these items in period would have started out new and aged with use. They look old now because they are old, not because they were made to look that way originally.
I've always wondered the same thing; never made sense to me either. I must say though that a light patina does add a character that Is pleasing to my eye.

Why not let new things look new so they age with time, just like the originals did?

Mophair said:

Because someone, decided to make a couple things that way and other folks liked it and now most think it's the standard and that's what sells!!!!!!!!, as for me, I agree with you, people in the past HAD to rely on their gear, it is what kept them alive and put food on the table, folks of days gone by took good care of their items, it may be the only rifle, horn or bag that they could ever afford,and any income what so ever was a precious thing and would have been kept for that rainy day! JMHO

It must be a personal thing with various individuals...I personally like my things new and work hard to keep them that way.
I've never seen a so-called "aged" muzzleloader that didn't look exactly like what it was...an artificially aged muzzleloader.
Furthermore, I think they look "unkept" that way.
I don't even allow my brass to achieve a patina, keeping them showroom ready at all times instead.

But that's just me...different strokes for different folks makes the world go 'round

I prefer the aged look. We are trying to recreate the past. Some do it better than others. I find the new look to be somewhat to Hollywood for my tastes. I even rub dirty patches on the brass to age it. Each to his own.

I look at it this way...if you are a serious reenactor that wants their personna to be a mountain man that has been out in the wild for a long period of time, then maybe you should go with the aged look because their stuff would look old.

My previous comments and a previous discussion...

Although it's true that everything was new at one time, when recreating a persona, I like to offer an image of someone who has been around for a while. Nobody had all new gear at once, except in the movies.

I prefer my stuff to look like it's "been used before today". Otherwise, if all my clothing and gear were new looking, it might appear that I just dressed up for a photo, rather then someone who actually participates.

Remember all the TV westerns in the 50's where everyone had on brand new clothes from the costume department?

When I talk about wanting my stuff to look used, I'm talking about subtle degrees. I do age knife blades slightly, so they aren't shiny, but I would never artificially age my leggings or moccasins, etc., as they get pretty used looking on their own in a very short time. I also don't want my gear to look two hundred years old, as that would be implausible. My stuff should look like it is being used "at the time" by my persona, not like a 200 year-old piece that a collector would have in their collection today.

I tend to use the term, "broken in", rather than aged.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/249309

Last edited by a moderator:
For hunting I like a bit of the shine worn off, and that's an agreeable way to arrive at it.

Also, if you have a couple nicks and dings "preinstalled" the first one you add hurts a LOT less. :haha:

Clearly, to each his own.
The professional builders must do what their customer wants, or no bread on the table.

As a gun builder and shooter I try to finish my guns just as they would have been finished in the past. When new they are shiny, but with use they quickly lose that new look. By shooting and using your equipment I think you get a more honest look to the wear (patina). On the gun I am using right now I can almost tell you how and when those nicks, scratches and wear marks came from. It's kind of a war map. When I see an old original I think to myself, looking at those nicks, "If that old gun could only talk".

Stumpkiller said:
For hunting I like a bit of the shine worn off, and that's an agreeable way to arrive at it.

Also, if you have a couple nicks and dings "preinstalled" the first one you add hurts a LOT less. :haha:

So VERY true,I never thought about that! that first ding hurts like hell!

I was just looking at some powder horns and was debating with myself if I liked the yellowing that seems to have become so popular recently. I must admit that I like the look, but is it an accurate patina? I have a white horn that's almost 20 years old and it's still white. no yellowing that I can see.
I like Claude's summation.

I agree, that to age or not to age is a personal decision and "that is that!" ___ Aging new reproduction items of history to look old is an art form in itself! ___ Very few people can do it right, without the item looking like someone TRIED to make it look old! __ I like to look at a well artificially aged item with a little question in my mind, "is that an original item or made to look that way?"

Seems like a lot of newbies to re-enactment or the more primitive side of our pastime want shiny and new, like an old 40's or 50's Cowboy hero movie or a page out of a Sporting Goods catalog, but as they really get into our pastime, looking the old way can add to their enjoyment!

A big part of the muzzle loading interests is in looking like from the past, ... old and used, don't mean abused!

Rick

I have two originals - totally unmarked but I can trace them to family homes to the 1880's; I assume they are a bit older than that. Not so much "yellow" as an almost burnt light browning of the horn.

One powder, one shot. (Note - I added the boot laces - but they are now almost 40 years old!)

IM000586.jpg

I was just looking at some powder horns and was debating with myself if I liked the yellowing that seems to have become so popular recently. I must admit that I like the look, but is it an accurate patina? I have a white horn that's almost 20 years old and it's still white. no yellowing that I can see.

I guess it is a matter of taste. I have two sets of fine horns. (I have many horns but only these qualify as "fine") One, the top, yellowed, pair were made by George VonDriesche and given to me as gifts by my wife. I didn't use them for a long time but both wifey and George gave me a hard time for that claiming they were meant to be used. So, I did for many years a 'vous, hunting, etc. Originally they were quite white but took the yellowed appearance you see in the pic. I'm not sure I like that look but, in truth, the yellowing does tell the story that they were actually used.
The bottom pair (which some here might recognize) have never been used and have spent over 35 years in my gun safe. They still look very nice but lack the story of use.
horns.jpg
[/img]

I wonder if UV has anything to do with the yellowing?

are your horns evenly yellowed?

Mophair said:
Hmm. Wonder if the powder contributes to the horn yellowing...

that's an interesting thought, but I
Doubt it. I've seen the insides of horns that have held powder and there hasnt seemed to be much change in color, deffinately not yellow.

My horn's had powder in it consistantly since I made it. but sunlight, that's a differet story. and considering what sunlight does to leather, I'd say that UV rays would have some kind of affect.

Many things can contribute to the yellow patina and general coloration of original powder horns, including many, many factory made powder horns were dyed at the various horn factories of colonial American.

...... I like it "new"..Way back when theres was new too! I'm old and weather'd... Thats enough of 'old' for me ..lol!

Back