• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

who sells noggins? looking for one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.gennisheyotrading.com/gallery/index.php?action=showfull&vpic=186&gll=4&tpic=18&maxp=38

TREEN WARE

ӢPlate - $22.00-40.00
ӢWhistle - $15.00-35.00
ӢBowl, eating - $22.00-40.00
ӢTop, finger - $8.00
ӢBowl, large - $30.00 & up
ӢTop, large - $28.00-40.00
ӢCutting board - $25.00-40.00
ӢFox & Geese game, turned box - $45.00-55.00, board only - $20.00-30.00
ӢServing tray Curley maple - $50.00-70.00
ӢTrencher - $20.00-30.00
ӢFolk art tree - $10.00-30.00
ӢScottish bowl - $35.00-80.00
ӢClothes pin - $4.00-5.00
ӢNative bowl - $45.00-75.00
ӢLoad block - $15.00-25.00
ӢTurned box - $40.00 & up
ӢTumbler - $22.00-32.00
ӢWater drum, Body - $55.00-65.00
ӢGoblet - $40.00-60.00
ӢNoggin - $35.00-50.00

Last edited by a moderator:
rj morrison said:
stay away from the cheap ones on ebay. they r junk.

I never understand why someone would make such a broad indictment of a company that allows almost anyone to offer anything for sale. The items are offered by individuals. Some may be great, some not so great. Ebay is not to blame for poor quality. Why blame them? Millions of items are sold via Ebay that are just fine.

VERY TRUE. = I've bought MANY nice items from private sellers on ebay.
(For example, I just received a first edition/first printing of BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE that I bought at a good price, which book is UNAVAILABLE here in The Alamo City at any price.)

yours, satx

Get a chunk of wood and go at it,,,worst that can happen is you end up with some real unique fire wood... But it can't be that difficult !!!!

Vomir le Chien said:
Get a chunk of wood and go at it,,,worst that can happen is you end up with some real unique fire wood... But it can't be that difficult !!!!

Actually, it does require some skill and tools. I have tried with both power tools and spoon style carving chisles. Never did well with either. But, that's me. :redface:

I dont have a noggin (no comments from the peanut gallery)Are they not made from burls?, That not easy to get from your local lumber yard. Do they work well from a strieght grained wood?

:confused: I could be missing something but I can't find where anybody put any blame on ebay. My assumption from reading posts is that they are available on ebay and they are junk. Lighten up guys. My gosh.

Get thee to a rendezvous or a re-enactment and look for the vendors. They're also in catalogues and...of all places, a big kitchen store in the mall.

I took an enormous, oversized spoon, cut and drilled the handle, refinished it and have poured everything I can think of on the trail and it never failed.

The trick is to get a good piece of wood with little or no faults or visible grain in it.

Use an organic, foodie oil on it because you don't want your coffee to taste like Permalyn or Linseed.

It's on my pack contents top photo here next to the flask

lgtacticals1027_zpsxotje8wk.jpg
[/URL][/img]

If you have a saw mill locally go there and look through the slab cut from the tree prior to the actually sawing of the log to lumber,or find some one who burns wood and ask to look through their wood pile or take a walk in your local woods and look for a burl on a tree. The knots you see often growing on the sides of trees.With a bit of careful carving you get a noggin much better than a vendor made one and for my opinion more authentic,that's how I made mine. AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

I know they were used in Canada/Great Lakes area and maybe the northeast, but were they found elsewhere as well? Can I presume that Indians (and others) that made them cleared the bulk of the wood out of the hollow by burning?

Your in PA and can not find a Burl or a Noggen carver!!!!!! What would a settler do if he needed a noggen ?????? he'd make one or more,,when in doubt just take the next small step.

Use an organic, foodie oil on it because you don't want your coffee to taste like Permalyn or Linseed.

Actually, no finish if any kind is the way to go. The noggin I have used for decades has no finish. Whatever I tried would come off. Hot coffee will remove finish, as will acids like orange juice and, of course alcohol. It has done fine bare. Had so long have forgotten what kind of wood it is. From appearances, could be cherry.

Maybe I should have clarified. If your noggin is going to sit between trips, after you wash it with water and no soap ( maybe baking soda instead), run the oil and wipe it off before putting it away AND after taking it out. Also, hang it up...don't store it.

Not cleaning it along with the rest of your gear is asking for some 21st century microbe to make a home of it and maybe ruin your Monday back to work/retirement. Sunlight helps keep it fresh, but be careful not to let it dry out until it cracks.

If you don't clean it, whatever you put in it last will affect whatever you put into it next.

I grew to despise copper and tin with morning coffee because of burned lips. I used my noggin for everything from stew to coffee to some of Lake George and always kept it clean. Not a big fan of potential beaver fever...

Back