• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who carries a time piece?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTdeerhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For those of you that carry time pieces, what and where do you carry? I know that pocket watches have been around since the beginning of time (sorry couldn't help that :doh: ) but was that just a rich guy thing, say from 1750 - 1775 ish.... or did common folk have them too???

I carry an antique pocket watch, circa 1900, which is a family heirloom, and a small pocket sundial. I use the sundial for day trips when its sunny, but they are notoriously difficult to use in the rain or at night. :wink:

When I'm out for more than a day, I usually only care how long until the sun goes down, which I can estimate by looking at the sun and horizon, so I usually don't even look at the 'time'. How long I have to get back to camp before sunset is more important than what time it is. I would think that this was a common thing for people 'out' back in the 1700 or early 1800s, but that's just a guess.

time becomes of the essence in this day and age as much as we hate it. a pocket watch is easy to hide even if not pc. then i just have to hide the tan line around my wrist

I carried an 'old looking' pocket watch for a long time. It was a gift. Looking at it one would not realize it really had a quartz movement. Then it quit. I suspect moisture got to it. I might replace but I'm not going to use my grandfathers watch.

Dusty 14 said:
a pocket watch is easy to hide even if not pc. then i just have to hide the tan line around my wrist

Actually, I pretty much only carry my pocket watch, everywhere, all the time (except to the beach, where I take a cheap wristwatch, sand and fine mechanical things not being very compatible), so I have no tan line. :grin:

I believe I have read that common soldiers and militia, during the rev war had a pocket timepiece, as there were many complaints of them being "stolen" by fellow soldiers.
A while ago on another forum there was extensive documentation of this, and it was determined that many, not all, had "pocket watches". One interesting note was they were commonly carried in a pocket sewn to the waistband area of britches, and not in a wesket or coat pocket with a chain. That was more a 19th century fashion.

Dansbess said:
I believe I have read that common soldiers and militia, during the rev war had a pocket timepiece, as there were many complaints of them being "stolen" by fellow soldiers.
A while ago on another forum there was extensive documentation of this, and it was determined that many, not all, had "pocket watches". One interesting note was they were commonly carried in a pocket sewn to the waistband area of britches, and not in a wesket or coat pocket with a chain. That was more a 19th century fashion.
I have no info about soldiers with watches, but I don't know if that is something which would show up in the newspapers I do my research in. I can say, though, that watches were mentioned a high number of times in the 18th-century papers, watches lost or stolen, watches for sale, watches in estates, watches for men and women. Watch chains are also mentioned a high number of times, as separate items for sale, stolen or lost, gold, silver, steel and brass. A very high percentage of the watches mention a chain along with them, very frequently with a seal attached to the chain, too.

So, I'll be surprised if it turns out watches were carried in the pocket without chains in the 18th century. And also that the common man could afford a watch, nothing I've ever seen about them described them as affordable for that class of people.

I used to carry a watch sold by Jas. Townsend & Sons., a look-alike for an 18he-century watch, but quartz powered, too thin and small. I need to get that battery replaced.

watch2.jpg

Spence

P3131483.jpg

This is what I carry now. It had been sitting in the safe with my guns for years, I dropped it and broke it just before going into the military. My wife was rummaging around in the safe, and found it, so I had it repaired (for a lot). I should get a chain for it so I don't drop it again.

No time piece here. I use the sun, and when that doesnt work, I sneek my cell phone out and take a peek. But dont tell anyone.

where in central VT are you? you get cell phone service there? i'm here west of Brattleboro and i don't get any bars.

(there are a very few sleazy dives, though) :rotf:

I'm in the Rutland area, but I travel from Vergennes to the Mass border for work. Your right, cell service isnt the best in old VT. Hartford, and Shorham (along Lake Champlain) sucks. LOL

I know that there is a small pocket on the right side near the front pocket of my 1812, Mexican war and CW trousers for a pocket watch (which is where I keep my watch) and there is a button that doubles for your watch chain loop and suspenders strap over the loop. I have seen actual soldiers trousers and they had watch pockets there

I have a compass that has a sundial, but as I often play the part of a Serjeant, I need a pocket watch that I can consult on a regular basis for I need to ensure the men get to formation on time.

I was told that pocket watches of the 18th century did not have covers, and I found a Timex pocket watch without a cover, battery operated, for $15.00 at Wally World..., but I haven't seen them since.

I have also been told the watches of the 18th century did not have second hands and the numerals were Roman numerals, but I'm not worried about the second hand too much, and the public only needs to see the watch from a distance, so even stainless steel (hey it's polished silver) would work. Here are some that I have found for sale...,

Pocket Watch (Antiqued)
Pocket Watch, Stainless, Roman Numerals
A bit better quality with Roman numerals

LD

Good evening gentlemen, this is my timepiece; I only carry it when I am doing my 18C Doctor impression (not when portraying an ordinary soldier), but it is a very typical 'pears case' period piece - not a rich man's watch, but the representative of the more commonly produced watches of the mid to late 18th cetuary.

Watch1.jpg

Here you can see the inside of the case with the watchmakers papers

Watch2.jpg

Interior detail - typical of English watchmakers of the time (it was made in 1783)

Watch3.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures, Doc. Beautiful watch and a pleasure to see. It's interesting to see that the Roman numeral 4 on your watch is IIII instead of the more modern IV. My cheap Townsend watch is the same, and they point out that the switch took place after the 18th century, but they don't say, and I don't know, when.

Spence

Thank you folks, she is lovely, and probably one of my favourite accoutrements. She keeps poor time by modern standards,gaining a few minutes every hour, but I have been informed that this is quite good for a period piece. She will also stop if you are not carrying her; they rely on the movement within the pocket to keep going. The watchmaker was Thomas Glase of Kidderminster (near Birmingham) in central England. Amazing to think that the American Revolution was in full swing when he was sat at his work bench making this piece.

Hi Spence

I too carry the JAS watch, have replaced the battery once in 5 years, while not perfect, better than cell phone. Watches did indeed have a chain or teather of some sort, but were carried in a waist band pocket in your breeches. Not commonly in a wesket pocket like seen in the 19th century. I believe it was Neil Hurst who did alot of research on the "pocket" for the watch.
I referenced the "military" aspect of it because I have read court martials where men were lashed for stealing, and watches came up often.
Thanks for your post and research on the civillian stuff, I am leaning more that way as I age.

Latest posts

Back