• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WHO CAN BUILD ME THIS RIFLE?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trigger guard is wrong and so is the date on the lock and the barrel is wrong also_Other than that the kit is OK.....
Davis makes an identical lock with out a date that would be more appropriate.
Don Stith offers a 1792 kit that is more correct. I've put together several for him, and am delivering one in the white to him at Friendship.
You supply me the kit and I'll put it together finished for $1200. I don't work cheap, but I do work. :winking:

Mike,

I didn't know that the kit was incorrect. Thank you for pointing that out. I will be in contact soon. The price is very fair.

Marc Findlay

I thought there really wasn't a set pattern on these rifles,as so many different makers made them?
I do know that there are very few 1792 contract rifles known & ever some of those are more or less made-up parts guns. I agree about the date on the lock unless your trying to do L&C & even then who can really say, as none of those rifles is known either.

Thomas

As I said , no big deal....here's my favorite emoticon... :blah: Used to be my favorite face when I was a kid! :thumbsup:

Mike may not be the world's or even Iowa's best dancer but he does great work building guns.
Tom Patton :master:

The trigger guard is wrong and so is the date on the lock and the barrel is wrong also_Other than that the kit is OK.....

Mike,

I never could figure out why TOTW would include a lock dated 1803 on a contract rifle from 11 years earlier. I agree, the Davis lock is certainly preferable. However, are you familiar with the Dickert contract rifle pictured in Whiskers book, "Early American Flintlocks"? (Page 117)

This lock is straight, germanic, bridled. More mysteries to solve. Is this the triggerguard you refer to??

Quote:
Mike,

I never could figure out why TOTW would include a lock dated 1803 on a contract rifle from 11 years earlier.

For the same reason they sell French Fusils fin {so called Types C and D} with Davis Jaeger locks,and Tennessee rifles with Siler locks.A lot of folks out there don't do any research or their homework and so don't know the difference.
Tom Patton :m2c: [/quote]

I am a complete novice about such things, but they do explain why they use that lock in their web site:

No 1792 Contract rifle has ever been published with the original lock. All known examples are fitted with 1812 dated model 1803 locks, due to arsenal reconversion. The original locks may have been imported due to a lock shortage in the 1790's. The 1803 locks appear to be so well fitted that the locks they replaced must have been nearly identical in size.

I don't know if that is true or not, but that is their justification...

So, does that mean No one used the 1792 gun until 1812 when locks were available?????? I guess they just sat with an empty mortice for 20 years!!!!!!???????? :eek:

And possibly some people don't care if thay are PC or not, they are building what they want to build.
:D

Birddog, you're probably right here and vendors take advantage of people who either don't care or don't know any better.However some folks want to learn and it is those whom I like to help especially the reenactors.I had to learn and was fortunate enough to have thiose who helped me.Now it's my turn.
Tom Patton

Back