• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White Mountain Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me witch ser numbers on the T/C WMC had the 1/38 twist barrel? Or can you even tell by the numbers,this gun is in a store and they will not let me check it with a tight patched jag.

shifty said:
Can anyone tell me witch ser numbers on the T/C WMC had the 1/38 twist barrel? Or can you even tell by the numbers,this gun is in a store and they will not let me check it with a tight patched jag.

I would then consider it checked and found bulged and pitted and full of rust and wander down the road to the next stop....I'm just funny that way :idunno:

i ordered mine from t/c in 90 and it is a 1-20 at least thats what i ordered from them and thats what was marked on the box. the number on it is 10xx5

Thanks i have read that the early one's had the 1-20 twist then later they changed to the 1-38 twist,and you are supposed to be able to tell by the sreial number,but i don't know what the range of the numbers are.

if the gun shop wont let you check it, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. something does not smell right.

rj morrison said:
if the gun shop wont let you check it, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. something does not smell right.

Yup.

Even a pristine looking barrel can have a bulge you'll never see with a bore light but you can feel it with a patch

Wiping the bore with a clean, oiled patch, which is all that is involved in checking the twist will cause no harm to the gun and any store that sells guns knows that.

Also, with a muzzleloader, checking for a bulged barrel is a commonly done thing by any knowledgeable buyer. That also involves running a clean, oiled patch down the bore and feeling the resistance required to push the patch down the bore at a slow speed. (any bulged area will have a short area where it will be easy to push the patched jag thru).

You can try to explain these facts of life to the manager of the store. If he still refuses, just turn around and walk out of the store.

If I was wanting the gun, I'd want to check the condition of the barrel. If the barrel looked good and the price was right, I'd adjust the load to suit the barrel. I have a WMC, which is now a sawed off pistol,(but that's another story) and the barrel is a 1 in 20. As a pistol the twist is perfect, and it shoots a round ball, with 50 grains of powder, very accurately.

The 1 in 20 was considered a Maxi-Ball barrel, but with a moderate charge and short barrel, it seems to spin a patched ball very well.

looks to be about 27 inches that would make it a extra long pistol. i had it visioned as having the barrel cut off at the forearm and the stock whittled down a little more. the barrel looks neat trimmed like that. thanks for posting the photo.

I have a T/C scout with basically the same barrel. They also started with 1/20 and later changed to 1/38. Mine is the 1/20 but I'd rather have the latter. It appears to shoot good but I haven't tried it at any long distances yet. S/N is 6178 and it's a 54 cal.

"I have a WMC, which is now a sawed off pistol"......

What does WMC stand for?

Oh! Heck! Well, won't doing something like that make you feel like a dummy!?! LOL!......Thanks Grumpa! :redface:

So maybe the 4 digit ser # is the 1-20 and the 5 digit ser # is the 1-38 twist. The rifle i am looking at is a very good looking gun,i just did not have my drop in bore light with me the day i looked at it,and i think i can talk them into letting me bring my range rod and patches in to check the twist.Also i have read some about the tang screws like the new 1-38 twist has a machine screw for the front screw and the 1-20 just has a wood screw for the front tang screw, can anyone confirm this.

I'll give you a little background on the WMC. I was looking for a pistol, that would meet Virginia's legal limits for hunting with a black powder pistol. It must be at least .50 ca. single shot, loaded from the muzzle, with at least 50 grains of black powder or equivalent. Not many fall into that category. Most pistol barrels have a twist from 1 in 18 to 1 in 25. When I saw the WMC in a pawn shot, the butt stock was messed up, where someone had a plaque or something on it, and then took it off. I was going to cut the barrel and put it in a pistol stock, but the I got this idea, so I don't know if I'll change it or not. It shoots great, and I kinda like it.

Someone called it a running buffalo gun. Or could be Canoe gun, or even Blanket gun.

I have killed several deer with the 1 in 20 WMC, back in the 80's. I used the Maxi-Ball. I split the stock on one. They were know to have stock problems, but later one's have the tang screw running all the way into the trigger plate.

Good guess on the length, it's 27 3/4. I wanted the round part of the barrel and position of the ram rod thimble to look like balanced. I tried to imagine the way it would look, before the chopping began.

Latest posts

Back