• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White caked on substance on lead balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To prevent the lead oxide from forming in the first place tumble them in a can or tumbler for four or five minutes with a very small pinch of powdered graphite. Good long term protection.
As for the balls that are already oxidized, be careful about handling them. The white powder makes it much easier to absorb through your skin. Using one of the other methods described above for oxide removal in other posts should work fine.

new and stumbling around here trying to find stuff so forgive me if this subject has been killed elsewhere.
I just dug out a bunch of stuff that has been stored for a while and find the lead balls are all corroded with white manure. Can this be fixed or is it time to invest in some new balls?

They will be fine to shoot, just don't ingest the lead oxide and wash your hands before eating ribs after touching them.

Ok to shoot....just don't lick your fingers or balls, unless you want lead poisoning...

Here is some light reading ... https://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/resources-ressources/objectscollectionsobjets/metal-metaux/recognizing-reconnaitre-index-eng.aspx#ld-plm7

Last edited by a moderator:
Pour'm all on an old towel or shop rag,
Spray'm with wd40,
and rub'm around a bit.
They'll come clean,
Wash your hands.

I had the same problem a while back. They will shoot just fine or you can recast them. To prevent this from happening in the future you can put a light coat of lubricant oil on them, WD40,Motor oil, 3-in-one oil. You can do this when you store them away and will not have the same problem again. Hope this helps, Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Necchi has the right idea.
Also, if you will tumble the balls for just a few minutes in a machine or by hand in a one pound coffee can or something of similar size with just a TINY pinch of powdered graphite, you will not have to worry about lead corrosion again. ( Tip : if your tumbling container is made out of plastic, rubber, or sturdy cardboard, the process is a lot quieter ).
A 4" square Tupperware or Rubbermade container with a snap on lid ( very important ) works well for me.

I have some .590 balls that I cast up around 1998 and tumbled in powdered graphite that are still shiny grey/black.

I keep my balls in a metal container and they look like the day they were made...The only times I have encountered white corrosion is when they were stored in plastic or paper containers....

Coincidence? :idunno: But it is an observation...

Soak em in some sweet oil been doin that and it seems to help some also seems to hold very little extra lube and that also seems to help with my 32.

I put my balls, while still warm, into a round, metal can, squirt in a gob of bore butter and shake 'em around.
The bore butter melts and coats the balls evenly.
Now we have a ball that won't oxidize and has built in lube.
The only problem is my daughter whines when she loads her revolver because the balls are " greasy" on her fingers.

Thanks much for all the great info.

These were stored in leather bags, one with a ball dispenser neck, possibly the residue from the tanning process had something to do with the corrosion.

Shortly after posting this I was wandering around and had a "DUH" moment where I realized I regularly am fighting calcium and lime and put the balls into a plastic container with some CLR (stands for calcium, lime, rust). Rolled the stuff around for about 5 minutes and they came out clean and bright.

Now I just need to take advice from here and lube them with something and store them in a different container until use.

Am I stepping into a trap by inquiring what is "sweet oil"?

not sure yet how to just add a comment to the thread without reply/response.

Aha! I knew someone had posted this and I did not need to start a new topic yesterday. I just did not look far enough.

I had same situation with a batch of old balls. I put them in a container with some CLR (calcium, lime, rust remover) and rolled them around for about 5 minutes and they were all nice and clean. They were stored in leather bags so the tanning residue may have aggravated the corrosion. I just need to lube them with something for protection and store them in a different container.

I store mine in various containers such as plastic, cardboard, and metal boxes, and zip lock bags. If you use the powdered graphite, you can store them in almost anything with no corrosion. No greasy handling problems either.

In all honesty what did the old trappers do when they had lead oxide on their round balls, load them up on a horse and head to town to get some CLR?????

Folks worry too much today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My most recent experiences are with revolvers, the corrosion is much harder than lead, thus much harder on the barrel and I want it gone.

Do not know about lead oxide being harder than pure lead, maybe some one with actual knowledge will let us know about the affects in revolvers.

Hello Zonie.

Latest posts

Back