• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Tried and True product to use

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a can of Tried and True Varnish oil and Tried and True Danish Oil finish, which should I use for maple stock? Or it doesn’t matter?

Attachments

• A04493DB-6148-4059-A479-291C6E351B42.jpeg
    A04493DB-6148-4059-A479-291C6E351B42.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Most people will tell you to put a sealer over it. I think it is ok as a top coat. If you do use a sealer just be certain that the T&T is not just dry to the touch but fully cured. Could take weeks or more likely months for this to happen. If you can still smell the T&T on the gun it's not cured.

To clarify this doesn't mean that you can't use your newly finished gun for two months because the finish isn't fully cured, maybe just use a little extra caution about having it out in the rain or when cleaning it. It's mostly the oil inside the wood that takes so long to cure not the outer surface.

Latest posts

Back