• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which smoothbore to build or buy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hothead

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to build or buy a smoothbore, to shoot in local matches.I have no clue which one to build or what gauge. it will only be shot with a patched roundball.
Is there a preferance to barrel mfg?
Are there bore size restrictions at these matches? I'm really hopeing to go with a 28gauge
I was thinking about a smooth rifle without the rear sight,but dont know if there is enough drop in the stock to only use the front sight.
I was at Dixons and all that was there was 20 guage and bigger. thats a lot of lead(recoil)
I guess what I'm asking is for a good shooting gun for match shooting,and I know nothing about smoothbores so I need your help.

Pedersoli Brown Bess.
A military design which means idiot proof and it throws enough lead to be good any place on the planet, plus it disturbs the buckskiners. Although, there is some evidence Mauel Lisa favored one. :thumbsup:

Probably a French Tulle Fusil de Chasse (type D, very plain and utilitarian) for me, in a .62 caliber.

TOTW sells a good looking parts kit for about $665 that would suit, but there are many other options out there along these same lines.

You will need to handle several of the styles of guns to get a feel for the fit, the bore size may be limited by your club, if not. a .54 smoothbore can shoot quite well with ball, most go larger as they like a heavier load of shot.If you don't shoot shot this will not matter, if you do you can still do a fair job with the .54.

If you are only going to shoot a smoothbore at local target matches, and then only use PRB in it, then choose a 28 gauge, or .55 caliber barreled gun. You can find such barrels for T/C Hawken and Renegade guns. There is going to be less recoil, and they are usually very accurate at 50 yds, and some are very accurate out at 100 yds.

I have a flintlock fowler, in 20 gauge, and it really does not recoil that much using FFg powder. It will if you use the faster, FFFg powder grade. But it does shoot a 325 grain ball, instead of that .235 grain ball in your .55 cal gun, so you do know the gun has fired!
Best luck to you on building that gun. :thumbsup:

Most of the hotdogs in the national matches shoot 20 ga or .54/28 gauge. The .54 smoothbore in a rifle weight barrel will shoot very well. The larger calibers have more drop with distance. I have seen good performance with a 54 smoothbore at unbelievable distances.

If you only want a smoothbore to shoot in competition then I recommend a .54. Check out your clubs definition of what is allowable in sights. A smoothbore with a rear sight is called a smooth rifle and often must compete either in it's own special class or against rifles.

I personally shoot .60 smoothbores and a .72 Bess in competition, but I shoot shot and buckshot out of mine as well.

Many Klatch

I am putting together a Fusil C from Sitting Fox right now. It said it was 95% inletted but I think that was a little high. I've done alot of work to it.

I have both the 54 & 62. Both of them are french tulle`s. the 54 is a smooth rifle and is cheaper to shoot. Can`t say anything bad about either one.

Lessee: You want a prizewinning small-bore smoothbore that won't kick but will bring home the "bacon," as it were. Hmmm... :hmm:

Speaking of bacon, I'm with Hamkiller -- sort of. Forget smallbore. Go bigbore military -- it unsettles everybody on the line. :surrender:

But I'd recommend the 1842 Armi Sport repop over the Bess, just 'cause caps go off in the driving rain when flinters sometimes take shelter. The goodness or badness of that distinction only you can determine.

Relatively cheap, the '42 can be used with wicked efficiency out to 50 yards or so, and the big holes help obliterate the 10-ring. And you don't have to load it for bear on the target line. I know some guys who use only 50-60 grains of 2-f to get that 465-grain ball a-mooverin' along most excellently.

I happen to be inordinately fond of mine, but you probably figgered that out already...

I have a Chambers PA Fowler that I absolutely love. My only complaint is that I find the 20 gauge a bit light for hunting...I really wish that it had came in a 16 gauge.

"I have both the 54 & 62. Both of them are french tulle`s. the 54 is a smooth rifle and is cheaper to shoot.'

Could you explain how a French Fusil can be a smoothrifle?, it takes more than adding a rear sight to a fowler to make a smoothrifle, the barrels are usually heavier, there would be a grip rail on the TG and likely a cheekpiece.I have never seen a fusil from the Tulle armoury done thusly, original or replica.

I would 2nd N.Star west I have had a couple of their guns both were top notch...they might even have an early english smoothrifle

Back