• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which side to carry horn and stuff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billhuntz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed MANY times before and I see the poll, but I'll ask again. I am right handed and am wondering which side to carry horn and bag. I know it's probably personal preference but what do you prefer. Also would like to know where to attach a powder measure? Pics would be appreciated. The horn I have seems to fit the left side with the spout facing front.

I'm right handed and carry my bag on the right and horn on the left side, simply because I find it easier (and steadier) to hold the small powder measure in my right hand while my left hand pours. Then my right hand pours the powder into the muzzle very steadily and controlled (because I AM right handed).

Im right handed, carry horn and bag on left side. With me I think it may stem from my modern side. I carry my pistol mags on left side and also the main battery of AR mags. That way I never have to get out of firing position. I guess I just got used to that and reload my ML from the bag that way. Purely habit, which is a good thing.

I currently default to the horn on the left and the bag on the right for pretty much the same reasons as Marc states. The stickie is a good poll but doesn't explain reasoning, which helps. I know there is no right way just curious as to your reasoning. the good thing is I can't be "wrong".

Thanks

Billhuntz said:
I am right handed and am wondering which side to carry horn and bag.
As I've said before, forget wearing anything for a moment. When you pour powder from the horn into your measure, which hand do you hold the horn in? That should help you determine which side to wear the horn.
The horn I have seems to fit the left side with the spout facing front.
Once you determine which side you will carry the horn on, then you obtain a horn with the proper curve. You get a horn that fits your style/method, not the other way around. IMHO

ABSOLUTELY correct. I bought a horn too soon. That's why I'm asking, I am ready to buy a new horn if need be, but would like some opinions on why you guys decided one way or the other. There are defintely some knowledgable, folks on this site.

My horn is a right handed horn so to speak but would fit and carry just as well on the left side. I hold the gun upright with the fingers of my left hand and pour the powder into the measure holding the barrel and the measure at the same time. Since I pull the plug with my teeth and replace it the same way, it's easy to drop the horn and take the measure in the right hand to pour the powder.

Suggest you simply try all the different combos and see what works for you. How I or anyone else does it doesn't matter much in the end.

I'm a lefty, but I got "snookered" into carrying my bag and horn (a unit) on my right side at first. It felt natural there because I make my living with a camera, and that's where the bag always hangs.

But with the bag and horn there, it was awkward as the dickens because I supported the gun with my right hand while trying to work with my left.

I finally shifted the bag and horn to my left, and the loading just works better with no shuffling. The bag and horn still feel really awkward on my left after a day of carrying my camera gear on the right, but it makes up for it when it's time to actually use the stuff inside the shooting bag.

My powder measure sits in a leather loop sewed in to the strap of my rifle bag. It's also corded to the strap so I don't drop it.

I'm right handed and carry both bag and horn on the right side. My powder measure is attached to a leather thong which ties thru a hole halfway up the front strap of my bag. The thong is just long enough to let the powder measure rest at the bottom of the bag.

When it's time to load I hold the muzzle of my rifle in my left hand. It's easy to grab the leather thong and pull the measure out of the bag without even looking. Then the left hand holds both barrel and measure while the right hand pulls the plug on the horn and pours the powder into the measure.
I continue to hold the plug in my right hand while also holding the horn and pouring. Then I lower the horn and replace the plug before pouring the measured powder down the bore.
If I'm in a hurry I can just drop the measure and it is held by the thong, otherwise it goes back in the bag when I grab a patch and ball.

I shoot left handed and therefore for me it is easier to do the loading functions with my dominant hand(left) things seem to go smoother that way.My measure,loading block and primer(when i use one) hang from leather thongs on the strap that will be suspended inside the bag when not used.I tried hanging my loading block on a short piece of leather that was just long enough to reach the muzzle of the gun and keep it several inches from my face(just in case there was a hot ember),but I found that while hunting when I bent over to check sign or whatever it would swing forward and bonk me.

I shoot right handed and wear my pouch and horn high and tight on separate straps under my right arm.

That keeps my horn as far away from the sparks as possible just in case I have a senior moment and forget to plug the horn before shooting.

Back