• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which replacement ramrod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recycled milk jugs....or something similar...Some kind of soft thermoformable polyethylene. They appear to be made by heating and extruding......Ironically, much like a noodle that they mimic.

In Over My Head said:
Bearkiller,

What is that MSM Super-Rod made of?

I really don't know. The only specs I've seen claim:

"Made of space-age synthetics, it will not break or be affected by cold or wet weather, cleaning solvents, lubes or oils. It is nonabrasive, so it will not damage the bore."

Bearkiller said:
I really don't know. The only specs I've seen claim:

"Made of space-age synthetics, it will not break or be affected by cold or wet weather, cleaning solvents, lubes or oils. It is nonabrasive, so it will not damage the bore."

The space age began in 1957, so that's pretty old technology. It's not like it's carbon fiber, nanotube, rare earth metal, self healing and robotic or anything.... Or like they used ramrods on the space shuttle. But it will make your muzzleloader look like it came from another planet... :haha:

In Over My Head said:
Bearkiller,

What is that MSM Super-Rod made of?

The original Super Rod was put out by Mountain State ML Supply. Three guys, Ed, Ed and Fred had the company. For whatever reason their company went belly up. The original rod was Delrin. But theirs came on market after I started making and selling Delrin rods. I claim to be first with these. :wink: I could not buy in the quantities required to get color. So all mine were white. Not very popular. Might as well have been pink. :redface:

Well I broke my ramrod yesterday on the first trip to the range, so I'll definitely need a new one now. I think I'll get a hickory one and try that out

Robert J. said:
Well I broke my ramrod yesterday on the first trip to the range, so I'll definitely need a new one now. I think I'll get a hickory one and try that out

How?...And why did it break?

These are important questions you must answer if you are to avoid the same mistake.

P.s ...You should get a range rod for range work.

Colorado Clyde said:
Show'em one of your door knob rods....

OK. But it's not on Delrin. I'm soooo ashamed. :redface:
P5130001.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Clyde, it broke when I was putting pressure down to seat the ball the last 1/8 inch into the powder to make sure it was fully seated. It broke right at the brass end that is threaded to accept jags. It was loose from the factory so I'm not surprised it broke. I do have a stainless rod from TOW I used to finish out the day

All ramrod tips are not created equal....Some are thin and allow for much wood to remain...others are thick and don't, these tend to snap off because so little wood remains...
Once you noticed it was loose you should have repaired it.....

You should have used your range rod to begin with . or...This is actually a good case for bouncing the rod.

I stopped making double ended ramrods for reasons similar to what happened to you....Something to consider for your replacement....

I just slightly round the end and add 3 finger grooves for a better grip when swabbing.

SgtMaj said:
Beautiful ... I'm jealous!

Thanks. But no need to be. Go to a hardware store and buy some brass tubing and JB weld. Scrounge the antique shops for doorknobs and make yerself one. I am not a highly skilled craftsman of any kind. I just like to make things for myself. I made this because I wanted to. And, I have less money invested in it than buying a made up range rod from TOW or other vendor.

Rifleman1776 said:
SgtMaj said:
Beautiful ... I'm jealous!

Thanks. But no need to be. Go to a hardware store and buy some brass tubing and JB weld. Scrounge the antique shops for doorknobs and make yerself one. I am not a highly skilled craftsman of any kind. I just like to make things for myself. I made this because I wanted to. And, I have less money invested in it than buying a made up range rod from TOW or other vendor.

There's a good lesson in there to learn for the younger, or novice shooter.... :thumbsup:

Back