• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheel Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got through to Dennis but he didn't know of any modern makers using any new spring set ups on wheel locks. He's made one German cheek style gun plus another of traditional styling. He makes all parts except the barrels.

“Some upstart modernist by the name of Leonardo d- had a German gunmaker on staff who made silly springs that looked like a helix- they were also messing about with multi-flute milling cutters and lots of other silly ideas that will probabley never catch on in the real world. Dreamers and trouble makers really.”

Leonardo Da vinci
Hvo60cl.jpg

William Alexander

yep that is the one. kind of sketched in the corner with some other ideas(?). I spent a long time trying to find more info/images of it. No luck. I did learn tho that the idea would have been mothballed when L.D had to lay off the German spring maker he had on staff. Money dried up. When awash with money L.D surrounded himself with the best tradesmen available and used thier skills/idea to advance/inpsire his own. Like Galileo, some genius, is simply the product of listening to the workers. Ever wondered who built the lathe that built the telescope........ Bet that guy did 9/10s of the math we attribute to the rich guy.

Wulf and Ricky. Much thanks for taking the time/energy to share those images. Much appreciated. One photo can often belay an awful lot of burnt fingers and dull files.

Amen!

The best thing a company can have on site is a cheap and simple item. The suggestion box.

Hi Hawkeye.

Until recently the Firestix were only available in a round stick. So you had to improvise a way to hold it in the jaws of the cock. But now they are available in square shape which easily fit the jaws with a piece of leather if desired. It's just a coincidence the diameter is just right for wheellock jaws. Fits great. Just cut the stix to desired length (do this in a safe area with safety precautions as sparks will occur). About a 1" length should last for many shots. And they really spark!! As the Firestix wears down, just re-adjust the length as desired. It seems to be harder material than pyrite, but still much softer than the wheel. The problem with pyrite is it's crumbling nature. You never know if you are going to get two shots off or twelve before it crumbles.
The Firestix never fails to spark. Just one Firestix should last a long time. Here is a pic of the square ones. I bought two.
Rick

When I ordered mine I sent a picture of one of
my wheelies to show what I needed them for and
he posted it as a sales point, so I'm told. It
was a big surprise to see them in this size.
Perfect.....
Wulf

Wulf and RIcky:

Huge thanks, I have been haunting the thread in hope and appreciate the pics. More fodder for the local print shop so I can study em proper.

Much thanks

re the firestick- that is a super option. I have been buying Pyrites from asia and it is amazing how variabe they are when it comes to creating a spark. First batch rained fire from waist level to the floor- other batches kinda sparked if the lights were out and some you can whack with all your might against a file and nothing but skinned knuckles. So far I have spent maybe 30 bucks and have a meager and gaurded store of pyrites. What about the pyrites that come off the islands in the Gulf of st lawrence? Anyone heard of em or secured any? Ship loads went to Europe at one time.

I have made plenty of leaf springs but when it
came to wheel-locks I thought there must be something easier and better. like a full turn of
the wheel. So back in 1988 I made that little
one pictured [in 22 cal]and learned how to do it.
The rest of the pics are of guns made with the
stretch spring action 'cept the last one which is a German #535 with a leaf spring...eleven shots and the spring snapped in two places, and proved my point. I always used welders flints till I discovered 'fire sticks'

Thanks Ricky for your help. Couldn't have done
it with out your help.....

A couple of things:

I just ordered a bunch of pyrite cubes (12-16mm) from China. I'll report back on structural integrity and sparking. I already got some Chinese pyrite in a smaller size that held together well and sparked nicely.

On the coil spring idea - Leonard Day has this figured out. I recently delivered to him a coil of so-called "missile wire" or "rocket wire" for making coil springs. He had used the stuff for a while making coil spring wheellocks but lost his supplier. He made one out of the wire I brought and tested it. He reported that it was so strong that it sheared the pin holding the pan cover and fired the pan cover across the room. He has beefed up the pin and it works fine.

Substitution the coil spring eliminates the chain, which was a weak spot and a pain to make.

I was down there at Leonard's again last week to get fitted for the stock of my prospective Brescian wheelie rifle. Something to look forward to in the new year.

[/quote] Wulf, great photos and great work,too! Can you explain how the sear works on the wheel lock with the coil spring? Is the sear pivoting off the lower bridle screw? I can't tell from the detail in the photo. Thanks, Mike

yes. The axle has a section like the tumbler on
a flintlock and the sear engages into that full
cock notch. The beauty of the stretch spring is
that it is so easy to replace and the chain has
very little stress. The German #354 has a very
strong spring and requires a heavy chain...When
the last one broke I ordered two. All but the
"Ball butt" are gone....sold. I think my style
are easier to make but different...A full turn
and no strain. Good luck
Wulf I thank Ricky for posting for me...

wulf said:
The axle has a section like the tumbler on a flintlock and the sear engages into that full cock notch. The beauty of the stretch spring is that it is so easy to replace and the chain has very little stress. Wulf
Okay, a tumbler & sear is the key, thanks very much! Mike

Latest posts

Back