• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheel lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc45-70

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a picture of a wheel lock I designed and built. I made everything except the barrel and screws.
DSC00475.jpg

sc45-70

Very nice. How well does it ignite the powder with that ignition system?

Thanks bioprof
It sparks really well! Only problem is the sparks tend to fly upwards and sometimes don't ignite the pan powder. It's pretty relaible though, I wouldn't want to have someone point it at me and squeese the trigger!
sc45-70

Sorry Hawkchucker
I don't have a vidio camera and dont know how to use one anyway! I'm still learning how to use a computer! If the kids didn't own a computer store I probably wouldn't have one. The instructions for doing this computer stuff are written on a big piece of paper stuck on the refrigerator and help is just a phone call away!
Sorry I got off topic.
Any way it wont be in the near future.
sc45-70

Ha Same here. but no that is really great work! I allways am amazed at how people turn out these incredible pieces of art. But one thing that allways bugged me. Where do people find the time?

Back on topic. Do you find that the matchlock when the wheel engages the pyrite throw your shot off? It seems that the force inside of the lock really does not make them tack drivers.

Thank you
I don't know
Mine has no sights! It probably wouldn't make any differance, with my shakey bones I can't hit anything anyway!
Time is like anything you produce. YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT!
sc45-70

Is that one of those striker flints from a welding rig??? I have been using them since
1960, but everybody told me they don't work
even tho I can get 20 to 30 shots in row...
but that may be just luck.

Hi Wulf
YES it it a welding torch striker "flint".
That was something that I always have on hand so I thought that I woud try that before tring pyrites.
In mine it make a difference what brand strikers I use. The Lincoln brand seem to work best.

You might consider putting a blocking device
between the flint and vent hole.Mine is like
the bow of a boat that seperated the flame
around the flint.Problem solved...

Back