• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the recipe for Moose Milk/Juice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be Wild Willy said:
ApprenticeBuilder, please do share if possible.

BTW, Happy Easter to one and all...

Unfortunatly I swore the, the unbreakable vow, with the super secret hand shake with both hands.

I at some point I will market the "juice" when I take the plunge and retire from the "real world" and take up the cause of the "free traders".

As far as availability there are at least 3 online retailers that are selling one form or another of the "juice"

Here's one

Here's another

Here's yet another with this one you need to click on shooting supplies, then lubes/solvent, then 3 Rivers

Otherwise I have seen it at the blanket shoot that I attend. I've never used it as a cleaner, thats what water is for so it lasts forever

Sorry guys but thats the best I can do.

:cursing: :(
Ahh well.. At $10 - $12 a quart plus shipping I will just use up what I have and go to the simple green n water mix I was going to try. Cheaper, I always lube after cleaning anyhow, and I don't have to pay shipping... :surrender:

Adui said:
:cursing: :(
Ahh well.. At $10 - $12 a quart plus shipping I will just use up what I have and go to the simple green n water mix I was going to try. Cheaper, I always lube after cleaning anyhow, and I don't have to pay shipping... :surrender:

Well to each his own, but when used as a patch lube only ( I use water to clean ) it took me 3 or so years to go thru a half gallon jug with 4 shooters milking off of it.

I shoot sloppy patches and have no need to swab between shots.

ApprenticeBuilder said:
Rifleman1776 said:
original Moose Milk

Curious :confused: which of the more than 99,000 Moose Milk recipies is the "original" one?

I learned a new one yesterday and might try it. Ballistol/Murphy's Oil Soap and water.

BTW, I have some patching made up with the NAPA water soluble oil stuff. Turned real mouldy. Really raunchy mouldy. :barf:

Really !?!

I would bet that there are less than a total of 20 distinct versions out there, this is the milk version, not the various snots or other thicker concoctions.

The version that I speak of is the one that is available commercially, back in the late 70's or early 80's Muzzleblast ran a test on all of the lubes at that time, this particular lube was second in the Nation.

Goes by the commercial name of Ol' Thunder, Blue Thunder, Three Rivers, etc.

Maybe 99,000 was a wee bit of an exxageration. :wink:
I owned an ml shop, in the heart of ml country, in the 1970s. Yes, there was a dizzying variety of, essentially homemade, cleaners, juices an other things for sale at the time. Some were OK, most were no better or worse than somebody else's formula.
I did sell some cottage industry stains and browning solutions in my shop but never the cleaner/lubes since it is so easy to mix up yer own I didn't see a viable market. Still don't. But, I know I'm wrong. Lotsa companies sell lotsa stuff for this purpose. A puzzlement to me since it is so easy to mix up something at home for a lot less money.

Well,

There is a reason that all of those homebrewed concoctions and shade tree lubes were never picked up and marketed commercially, and its not cause the recipes were plastered on the net :wink:

I mixed up some of those different recipes and just didn't have as good of luck as I do with the one I currently use.

Also, if you do the actual math on the current cost of the materials to whip up the latest batch of super goo, plus the fuel to run down the materials, and then your time. I just don't see where it is so much more economical.

I can pick a jug of this stuff up at most any local Rondy from Nor Cal to Wsahington State, an as far east as Colorado, its always on the blanket.

I see no reason to experiment with anything less than the best avaliable.

And on a final note, for me anywho, I don't ever expect to see the recipe for this stuff on the net, it works under all but the most extream conditions.

olthunder.gif

bluethunder.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

Gotta go back to work, my day job awaits.

BillinOregon said:
Castor oil and witch hazel on the list. By the way, Stumpy, what does the witch hazel do?

It improved the smear quality of the Murphy's oil and castor oil in the beeswax so it didn't just bead up or streak.

I did smear tests, rust tests, rust tests after flashing powder on the steel over lube. The lubes I list came out on top of what I tested.

I have fooled with muzzleloading on and off again for near on 20 years. I came across the recipe for stumpys moose juice last year and I have to say that the stumpys moose juice is my favorite patch lube that I have used. I cut at the muzzle so the strips soaked in it work just fine for me. I can usually get about 9 to 10 shots before I have to wipe. Just for kicks I made a batch of stumpys moose snot about two weeks ago and plan on trying it when I go to the range next. But I would be hard pressed to change from the moose juice.

I made a batch of modified Stumpy's MJ/Moose Milk today, should last me a long time. Looking forward to giving it a try in a couple of days.

Thank you Stumpkiller...

I have to thank ApprenticeBuilder for his kindly gesture.

I received a generous sample of his "secret concoction" and very much look forward to doing a little comparison between what I mixed up and what he donated to the cause.

Thanks again kind Sir...

The Ballistol/Murphy's/water recipe has been around for a while. IIRC, it was espoused by Paul Matthews in one of his books about the 45-70. It is the version that I use.
About Witch Hazel.....very often included in Moose Milk, I suspect that it works because it is mostly alcohol. If the undiluted oil is used, that is another thing entirely.
Pete

Today I tried the Moose Juice that I mixed up myself, worked great.

Used .018 pillow ticking patches dipped in MJ, which were too tight before. I fired 12 shots before swabbing with 1 wet then 2 dry patches. Fired about 15 more shots without any difficulty in loading. I believe that I probably didn't need to swab at all.

Next up I'll test ApprenticeBuilder's home brew. Thanks again Gents...

Am curious,

Are you shooting for accuracy in these trials also, or just to check for ease of loading and the need for swabbing ?

I'm also shooting for accuracy, but limited to shooting off an improvised rest on the tailgate of my truck. Averaged 1-1/2" groups yesterday with anything from 50-70grs.fffg at 50yds. I'll do the same with your stuff and also check on how it cleans up afterwards for a comparison.

Nice targets for an improvised bench.

Just for claritys sake, the patch lube that I use is not my secret concoction. I bought an individual out that had been making it and selling it, it is a commercial patch lube/bore cleaner.

Am interested in your results though.

Back