• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the consensus on Kibler rifles Steel finish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start on my woodsrunner kit. I was planning to brown the barrel and lock, but. I was watching a build video on YouTube and the fella mentioned that browning the steel wasn't really a period correct finish for the time period that these rifles are based on. So what is the consensus on the steel parts finish? Is it the patina look done with brass black, etc? Or is it leaving it bare and letting it patina itself? I mean I know its the choice of the beholder but I would still like to know. Thanks in advance.

I browned my colonial.

Attachments

• 20230108_103452.jpg
    20230108_103452.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230108_103505.jpg
    20230108_103505.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230108_103426.jpg
    20230108_103426.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230101_180529.jpg
    20230101_180529.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I don’t believe anyone can pin down for certain when browning became prevalent. But it’s been used for a long time, along with chemical and fire blueing, and just leaving the metal in the white. So as said, it’s really up to your personal taste. Personally, I prefer a light grey finish and do the same as @Dave Marsh on 18th century guns, but that’s just me. I do have an unfinished .36 SMR gathering dust that I plan to brown.

... the fella mentioned that browning the steel wasn't really a period correct finish for the time period that these rifles are based on ...
And they would be correct. Sure, you can do whatever you want to, but I wouldn't ... heck, go parkerize it, that would be one of a kind, LOL!

Let it patina on its own is probably the most HC finish in my barely educated opinion. Grey and brown look good too, but Im not into making a brand new rifle look like something it's not (old). It's like putting ZL1 or GT500 decals on a V6 Camaro/Mustang.

To each their own though.

Last edited:
Locks were case hardened and the colors carded away to leave a gray finish. Barrels were also left gray.
I think brown is the most beautiful steel finish there is. And most old guns are brown. But that an artifact of their age.
Guns were both chemically and fire blued, but most guns were gray to shinny metal
The idea of camouflage or being afraid of sun glinting off a finish and alerting game or enemies seems to be a modern idea. We know Indians often wore bright colors and bright colors was seen on frontiersman. And in care one finds a bright barrel is pretty easy to keep rust free
A little patina grey is a good look

As it comes from Kibler the barrel has machine marks that require filing of the flats to eliminate them. Same with the lock. After smoothing with a file I applied a solution that created a light grey appearance. Now, a few years later, the barrel has the appearance of aged, unfinished steel. I used a solution that I ordered from Kiber to age both the steel and brass parts of my Colonial rifle
72A2D262-09EE-49A2-A29D-7B820E23CCA5.jpegAB2459BD-7626-492D-8CA9-B9FB49C37BDA.jpeg

Latest posts

Back