• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what to draw file off of Lyman Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melnic

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Almost done with my Lyman Great Plains 54 cal build.
Only the barrel is left.

OK, the big warning billboard has to go,
what else should go?
Or should I say, what should I leave?
My thought was taking out everything in first pic except the serial # on the far right
First pics has the warning billboard, then
CAL 54, then the Investarms logo, then Made in ITaly with Black Powder only just below it.
That Cal 54 seems redundant and the Investarms Logo is also kind of clutter.

Then leaving the GREAT PLAINS RIFLE .54 and Lyman - Middletown CT, USA

I am on the fense about the Lyman - Middletown CT, USA though

barrel1.jpg

barrel2.jpg

barrel3.jpg

Same here, I'm in the process of building my GPR flint kit and I removed all the markings on the barrel, looks nice a smooth like it should. I am tempted to restamp it with the caliber once I have it all polished up, wish I had access to a nice bead blaster, they make barrel finishing so much easier, and produce a great finish, but my friend sold his shop some years ago so no more bead blaster. Stew.

I would leave it as is because if you ever get lost in the woods you will be able to sit down and read your gun for a while when waiting to be found :)

I like said to Paris...take it all off!! :wink:

I have shot myself two or three times when there's no wRning on a gun......I eat leaded paint, and drink hot Mcdonalds coffee!

You can't idiot proof this world...but boy do they try! :youcrazy:
Marc

Thx all,
Last night and this morning I took off everything but
S# and the
Great Plains Rifle .54
Not liking the digital font on that.
I have some stamp punches at work, Not sure if I can get to make a mark on the barrel or not, I may test it on the bottom. If that works, I may decide to pull the rest off and then just put Cal .54 on it.

How was it done "back in the day"?

My advise and what i have done in the past: Take it all off and transfer the seriel no. and the caliber to the bottom flat with your letter punches. Someday you or your lawyer or your wife's lawyer may need that info.

:surrender:

I take it all off too,
Put the two digits of the caliber on the bottom flat.
I mean, If the rifle is sold in the future the new owner should get some idea what 54 means without the need of "CAL" following the numbers.
Serial number? Nah, not on mine.

laffindog said:
and transfer the seriel no. and the caliber to the bottom flat,, Someday you or your lawyer or your wife's lawyer may need that info.
If there is some "failure" that may create cause for a Lawyer to need the serial numbers,
The fact that any filing has been done at all will effectually void any law suit.

That said, I'll file all that factory stuff off a barrel and never use a nights sleep ,,

Why even bother to remove what you show in your pics? A good brown job will kinda cover over and unless you look w/ a "bothersome eye", the stamping will not be noticed. Seems like many are ashamed of what they buy and want to remove the evidence....Fred

flehto said:
Why even bother to remove what you show in your pics? A good brown job will kinda cover over and unless you look w/ a "bothersome eye", the stamping will not be noticed. Seems like many are ashamed of what they buy and want to remove the evidence....Fred

No shame here. This is my first kit build.I was advised the Lyman GPR kit was a good kit. I'm cold bluing. Everything is done but the barrel.
All the stuff on the barrel just seems to be clutter. Draw filing is a skill I was looking to experience. I may one day strip it and brown it or maybe brown my next build possibly.

If you are concerned about warranty, you will void any warranty (at least concerning the barrel) by filing any of the information off.

Ghettogun said:
If you are concerned about warranty, you will void any warranty (at least concerning the barrel) by filing any of the information off.

Not concerned about warranty at this point.

I think if you want to remove anything, remove it all and putting back on the underside would be kind of meaningless. It's not the original serial # so now it's just a number you stamped on it, could be any number.
Hey, why not make it #1? Just my $.02

It takes time, but if you carefully peen all the letters and numbers that you don't want.
When you have peened it all to your satisfaction, lightly sand the areas that you worked on, then re-peen the letters/numbers that surface.
Gently file all corners of the flats, to give them a slightly round look. Be careful here, you can make a mess if you file too much.
Most original barrels do not have sharp corners on the flats.
When you are done, find a sand blaster, then completely blast the whole barrel. Careful not to blast inside the barrel!
Browning will take a lot easier after sand blasting. Do not handle barrel with bare hands after blasting, you WILL leave prints where you do not want them.
All blasting should be done at 45 degree angle, to get best results.
This works, and removes all the crapy lettering.
Good luck!
Fred

:haha:
I ought to put some writing on my 36 so when I am sitting over a log I got something to read :thumbsup:

I removed everything off of mine. Like has been said, do anything and the warranty is gone, so if you're going to remove anything off of it, I say go as far as you want, cause it is your gun afterall and who cares what the rest of us think as long as you're happy with what you have.

Back