• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What the heck ever happened to the nice Goex cans?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Lykins

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been out of the loop for awhile, haven't bought powder in 5-6 years. I ordered/received 5 lbs of Goex and they now package it in cheezy plastic bottles. My old screw on spouts won't work on these and I foolishly threw the cans I had in the trash. :youcrazy:

My last can cost me $8.00 per sticker still stuck to it so I have yet to see em. There is a bunch of posts on how to make a nice spout though (search?). I shall never throw another can away again! (threw one out few months before finding out about goex goin green :(

The plastic cans are actually an improvement over the metal ones. They are cheaper and lighter which reduces the end cost. It is also easier to get all the powder out of them. I have been buying my powder in bulk and transferring it to plastic since the early 80's. I picked up 5 lbs. of 2f a couple of weeks ago, $15.60/lb. It comes from GOEX in a plastic bag inside a brown paper bag with a rubber stamp label in it.

Most smokeless powders went to plastic cans back in mid 2000 I still keep some of my old metal cans as I do not like the plastic much either. They are too bulky now where as the metal cans were much thinner and rectangular so they were better on space on the shelf.

hawkeye2 said:
The plastic cans are actually an improvement over the metal ones. They are cheaper and lighter which reduces the end cost.

They might reduce cost for the manufacturer but they sure as heck have not reduced cost for the buyer. I am tired of cost cutting procedures that don't save the consumer money. They don't lower the cost of the product, just put more money in their pockets. Prices on smokeless powder have more then doubled since they were in tin cans.

BTW, at least the plastic Goes cans are rectangular which makes them more useful of shelf space. I would like plastic powder cans more if they were all rectangular, but the round smokeless cans are just a PITA.

Greebe said:
They might reduce cost for the manufacturer but they sure as heck have not reduced cost for the buyer. I am tired of cost cutting procedures that don't save the consumer money. They don't lower the cost of the product, just put more money in their pockets. Prices on smokeless powder have more then doubled since they were in tin cans.
:wink:

cheese-with-whine.jpg

myshootinstinks said:
I foolishly threw the cans I had in the trash.
That's like..."blasphemy" isn't it? LOL

I must have a half dozen cases of empty Goex cans in the attic...even have one can sitting up on the fireplace mantle.
One time I bought two 25lb "bags" (in cardboard boxes) over the counter from a Goex Distributor in PA I was passing by...refilled 50 metal Goex cans after I got home.
Can't beat the metal cans as far as I'm concerned...plus they have a bit of history/nostalgic association with the hobby...going to plastic almost seems like taking a step towards modern muzzleloading...at least I know I'll never have to use the new plastic ones

Jack Wilson said:
Greebe said:

cheese-with-whine.jpg

Funny but that is not whining, it is the truth to a statement you made which was incorrect.

Greebe said:
Jack Wilson said:
Greebe said:

cheese-with-whine.jpg

Funny but that is not whining, it is the truth to a statement you made which was incorrect.
Seriously? Quote me. I only posted once in this thread.

Only speaking for myself here,but my red Goex cans will be in my estate sale, the plastics will all be long gone in a landfill somewhere....

azmntman said:
My last can cost me $8.00 per sticker still stuck to it so I have yet to see em. There is a bunch of posts on how to make a nice spout though (search?). I shall never throw another can away again! (threw one out few months before finding out about goex goin green :(

I have one old metal can with not too much FFFG left in it. I wish I had a metal can marked for FFG, if for any reason including nostalgia.
I am just curious as to why plastic would be considered more green? Much of the green movement :doh: is just kind of a racket anyway, but not entirely.

Could any chemicals from these plastic containers leech into the powder with negative effects?

I have not really noticed exactly what kind of metal the old Goex cans are made of, but I assume they are made of some kind of tin, I don't think it is aluminum.

I still like the metal cans better.

Not really sure if plastic can be considered "green". At least metal will eventually rust away if dumped, unlike plastic.

I'm with greebe, using plastic containers is presumably cheaper for the manufacturer (otherwise they wouldn't have changed).

An interesting observation - in The UK BP must be stored in plastic containers, kept inside a wooden (plywood) box. It cannot be stored in metal.

I have three virgin goex cans,never had anything in them,120.00 each ! :rotf: :surrender: :rotf:

Got you beat moonthunder.

I have two original GOEX cardboard boxes, each containing 25 empty metal GOEX canisters.

The boxes have lovely original bold face lettering in red and black or the top and four sides.

BLACK POWDER - SPORTING
25 CANISTERS - 1 LB. NET EA
Manufactured in the USA by GOEX, Inc. Doyline, LA 71023;
DANGER EXPLOSIVES.

As a bonus offer - and for a limited time only - each canister contains approximately ten grains of genuine black powder.

Sealed bids accepted until end of June, 2014, or swap now for late model Ford F150,

:rotf:

Mountainy Man said:
Only speaking for myself here,but my red Goex cans will be in my estate sale, the plastics will all be long gone in a landfill somewhere....
I'm right there with you! I can live with the plastic containers but it irritates me.
Do all the BP suppliers use the plastic containers, Swiss, Schuetzen, etc?
Anybody want to cut loose with a few of the old cans?

I saved all my old metal Goex cans. If I could buy powder in 25 lbs bulk bags, I would fill those cans. They only allow shipment to Alaska in cans with a hefty hazmat fee.

Looks like your outta luck unless you like to live dangerously or are licensed.

With powder still inside those cans, technically your selling black powder.

BTAFE takes a dim view of that.

:rotf:

Back