• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What solution/process works best for oxidation removal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup.

A couple of hard Arizona Caliche dirt balls can do wonders. You might say they leave a lasting impression! :rotf:

Actually, it all started when I was about 3 years old and my sister shoved me off of the bed. I lit on my head on a hot air register that was on the floor of our Iowa house but, that is another story. :grin:

CC: I haven't seen any Calcium carbide around here either for years.

In addition to the things you mentioned, all of the old gas type headlights for cars and bicycles used it.

(For those who don't know, Calcium carbide produces acetylene gas when it comes into contact with water.)

Of course, like a lot of things there are a lot of sources for it on the web.

Hi,
All of my cast balls are put into a plastic jar ( peanut butter, or mayonnaise jars ( not glass ) Then I spray WD-40 on them, then shake the jar for a few minutes, that will remove the sprue mark, and evenly coat the balls with oil.
Left in the jar, the ball are forever sealed from oxidation.
You only need 20 or so balls in your shooting bag.
Some of my cast balls are over 25 years old.
I hope this helps.
Fred

Back