• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What size ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evildog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A question for someone who can do the math... what size ball would be needed to make a layer of 3 that would lay flat in a 62 caliber smoothbore?

Huh? You mean like a small load of buckshot, and what size shot would fit 3 in a single layer on top of the wad... Man, I don't have my reference tables with me.
Sounds like a perfect cut and try experiment. Take your overpowder wad and start putting shot on top of it, see which size fits best.

Ah, there be the problem..... don't have any shot. The closest I have is a .329 round ball mold. That sise ball gives me a nice flat layer of 3 balls in a Brown Bess (75 caliber). Am trying to find out what size to use for 62 caliber rather than just randomly buying molds. Yes, you are correct... a single layer of 3 balls laying flat on top of the over-powder wad.... or maybe 2 layers.... or maybe 3 layers.

According to Mike Nesbitt in his article in DGW Blackpowder Annual 2006, four #4 buckshot fit a 20 bore and three in a 28 bore.

Of course, I have a 20 bore and only #3 or 000 buck. :hmm:

Hey Bloodhound.... thanks for looking that up for me. He must be talking Eastern #4 buckshot which is 0.240" diameter. Western #4 buckshot is 0.330" diameter and I know for sure that wouldn't work since three 0.329" form a very nice triangle layer in 75 caliber. Now I know what size mold I will be looking for.

:blah: I don't have much use for Mike Nesbitt,he does a lot of unsafe and unnatural things with a muzzleloader.....Check out back copies of MUZZLELOADER MAGAZINE Olson

...and the answer is something like a .275 ball--I don't know what buck size that is closest to. As for Mike Nesbitt, I don't know why so many folks bad mouth him [another MLing site made a sport of it]. He is a nice fellow and generally has interesting articles (which I don't always agree with, but that is life). He has been around this hobby a long time and deserves a little more respect, IMHO. If you want to "talk" with him direct go to the campfire site sponsored by MuzzleLoader Mag--he is usually there. Good guy. A gentleman.

Mike's right. Take bore diameter and multiply by .450 should give the diameter of 3 balls that would "lie flat". In a 62 c this equals .28. The closest shot diameter is #2 which is .270

Back