• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Percussion cap brand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just want to know what Percussion cap brand everyone is using and how available are they. It hard to find the CCI #11 magnum caps but I did find some winchester #11 magnum caps.

I use CCIs simply because they were all I could get at the time. I bought a couple thousand of them and they are serving me quite well. Some folks will not use any other brand than their favorite.....CCI for some, RWS for others, Winchester for yet others. I truly don't think it makes any difference which brand you choose, they all seem to work quite well. At least they do with real black powder. One brand may have an advantage over another when shooting any of the substitutes, I can't say because I don't shoot substitutes. I know that the magnums work better with substitute powders. I'm a black powder guy and all of the caps seem to serve me quite well.

I don't stick to any one brand either. I haven't tried allot of brans, probably 4 or 5 but haven't had any that I didn't like except for some real old CVA's about 30 years ago. I don't think they make them any more. Problem with them was they were a heavy brass cup and you had to literally pry them off the nipple after firing.

They all work Friend.
At issue primarily is cleanliness of the nipple and fire channel. Get those two things in good shape and there is seldom a problem.

Asking what cap is preferred is like asking what they like to drive, the answers will be just as varied, :wink:

I use what I can get that fits my rifle. Most of what I've used were CCI No 11's. I recently started using Dynamite Nobel brand No 1075 Plus caps. They are essentially identical to CCI 11's in size, and seem reliable. They come in ared plastic tin. The bonus is they are about a dollar cheaper at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Mesa, and everyone is out of CCI's but these are always on hand (for now).

To further convolute things, I found in a little gun shop near my house some CVA brand size #11's that he was selling for the original stock price of $1.95 per tin. I bought a tin, and if they fire reliably I intend to go back and buy the other 8 or so tins he had left. These are packed in black plastic tins.

I have found the last Remington (all I could find)I bought are a little deeper/longer and will not fit in my capper. They perform fine, just kinda a pain putting them in a revolver with fingertips.

I hear ya! Im thinking if I had the nipples for my revolver the CVA's I just found would be perfect. Same diameter (seemingly) as the CCI's but a bit shorter overall.. Might not rub against the frame like the CCI's do..

For deer hunting I use only RWS. For target shooting I use CCI, Reminton, Whinchester , or what ever. If your gun is set up correct all will work just fine unless you happen to get some defective caps. I think all brands have had some "problems" at some time or other. But over all as long as they are kept dry they will work.

I have not used RWS in a long time.

Currently I am using CCI Magnum and Remington #10 that are advertised as being 40% hotter than their standard caps. They seem about equal to me.

In fact I am using the Remington #11's on my GPR to save the CCI's and the accuracy and point of impact are the same. I have some Winchester Magnum's but I have noy tried them yet. The local gun shop had them for $6.99 a can so I bought 500 to tide me over if CCI never gets back to caps.

Geo. T.

Two issues I've run into.

1. When using substitutes it's nice to have a hotter cap. RWS, Remington, or CCI magnum. Basically anything other than the non-magnum CCIs. This will show up with longer ignition paths - you won't see a difference in cap and ball.

2. My 1851 and 1860, both Pietta, both bought at the same time, had light mainsprings. Bad batch I guess. They had trouble popping CCI caps more than 50% of the time. Remington went to 100% on one and 80% on the other (ended up replacing the mainspring on that one which did the trick). I'll probably replace the spring on the other one at some point just to have the flexibility.

So all in all Remingtons are my works-with-everything go to cap.

Haven't used Winchester but people seem to think they're actually made by CCI...

Started with CCI but frequently had them stick in cup of hammer. Friend suggested Remington, and they work much better, they may be thinner walled since they seem to blow apart more and fall right of the nipple or out of the hammer cup.

Seems all I have seen easily availble around here have been CCI. I have used them for 8years now with maybe 2 or 3 misfires, and those were because the little insert fell out.

I have tried cci not impressed, I'll use whatever I have but if I had a choice it would be RWS, been using them since the 70's

The Remingtons of old weren't that great, so 20 years ago that was probably the right call. The last generation Remingtons (before the 40% hotter thing) were a) less hot, b) wider - the #11s come right off my cap and ball revolvers that work perfectly with modern Remington or CCI caps and may have other problems too, I dunno. I'm not sure of the exact date but they changed 10-15 years ago.

I have yet to try CCI, but I have used Winchester and Remington #11 caps. Both work fine, though the Remington come off really easy after firing. However the Remington caps are slightly shorter than Winchester caps, about .007 to .011 of the several I measured. this can cause jams in my cappers, I have the Traditions and the T/C.
The Winchester work really good in the cappers though.
I cannot say to function of caps, as I have little experience in the subject.

My preference is RWS. If I can't get RWS then CCI is what I've used. You can usually find them anywhere around here that has caps.

It would help even more if you folks would identify what cappers you use, so those of us who might have the same type/brand don't have to make the same mistake of buying caps that aren't going to be satisfactory in the capper that we bought so's we wouldn't have to put them on with our fingertips. :wink:

Latest posts

Back