• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
today i finished draw filing 28 feet of flats on the colerain barrel. actually less because i just swiped at the bottom flat. didn't want to erase the info there. (my story and am sticking to it!) i usually do all 8 but this barrel was so rough i was worried about reducing it to much.
Hit the barrel with super blue by BC, then rubbed it back to gray. twice.
did the layout for the barrel then drew the rifle layout an the side. found i had done the layout for the barrel to far aft. would have had 13 inch LOP. sanded off the barrel layout and moved forward.
sanded off the side layout and moved forward.
got the drawing done and it looks like it can become a Isaac Haines .58 longrifle.
ordered all the little parts from TOTW. should get here about the time i have the barrel inlet and rifle shaped to a stock. why am i tired tonight?
wanted to shoot some but this gang showed up and have blockaded my range. 20240508_200633.jpg

Last edited:
Shot 24 rounds off my back deck with my new Uberti SS 1858. Tonight I ordered slixshot nipples. The stock nipples gave me at least 1 misfire per cylinder.
Nice isn't it? I wasn't fond of the Stainless at first but it has quickly became a favorite. Especially with that 240 grain Conical in it. It shoots so dang good with that bullet.

Making more caps today. Drilled these holders out out of an oak slat. The cups are just a light squeeze fit so they won't spill out when bumped. Also further apart. I've been using the large rifle primer holder which hasn't been all that satisfactory.

20240509_084223_copy_211x417.jpg
20240509_085131_copy_348x320.jpg

Had six culls from yesterday's punching session. I think these get lopsided when punched too close together.

20240509_084211_copy_600x650.jpg

Finished filling the two boards and punched out another 100 out of aluminum. Pretty much going to stay with the aluminum. They are quickly punched and more economical.

View attachment 318592
I just finished cleaning slim after a good day at the range ,tried some different combos today but to no avail slim still like 50 grains of 2 f 50 grains of cornmeal 70 grains of shot in a paper shot cup and a card on top.It likes #7 1/2 shot but I think for grouse and wabbits I’m gonna try and see which patterns best in it #6 or #5s next time out .

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Finished filling the two boards and punched out another 100 out of aluminum. Pretty much going to stay with the aluminum. They are quickly punched and more economical.

View attachment 318592
I couldn’t get consistent good results with the copper sheet. I stick with aluminum also. I’ve had the best luck with the 24oz cans of Arizona iced tea. My son buys that brand.

Haven’t left the house since my surgery last week, so my son and I went to town today. We went and visited my parents and after that was able to hit a couple gun shops. Found a 1 lb bottle of 4f goex for $30 otd. This particular shop sells lots of reloading supplies, they also have a handful of muzzle loaders usually in stock. Shopped there for 30 years and have never seen black powder for sale. Well stupid me, I should have asked a long time ago. They stock it!

I just stopped by to ask which of you enablers got me to thinking a extra extra curly piece of maple should have a 42 inch swamped barrel hand inlet into said maple?
I think Jim Kibler spoiled me with his wonderful product. i have the two ends inlet about 1/4 inch.
this wood is what coined that first commandment of stock working. "chisels so sharp they scare you"
I took a water break and laid my main chisel down. when i came back, i couldn't find it. finally found it in the bottom of the chisel drawer crying for help from it's fellow tools.
found if i go to depth with the cut at the muzzle end, I can slice across the curl without chipping out trying to run a lengthy cut.
anyway that's what i have been doing. this is the first inlet i have done with the breech plug/tang removed. just was the way i always did it. will see if this job will convert me. to those that will jump up and down saying that is the only way it should be done, I am too old and set in my ways to change, no matter what you call me!
I have been married for 54 years, I have been called everything. and most fit!
back to sharpening chisels if i can find where they are hiding! slackers!

View attachment 318592
I couldn’t get consistent good results with the copper sheet. I stick with aluminum also. I’ve had the best luck with the 24oz cans of Arizona iced tea. My son buys that brand.
I found a good alternative use for the copper sheeting I bought to eventually make caps with… a strip of it makes a dandy top cap for the roof of a bird feeder.

IMG_5569.jpeg

My sharpening skills are mediocre @deerstalkert, that's why I use a strop a lot to keep me from doing more harm than good. And I don't think I want to tackle a swamped inlet. So your doing fine.
no blood yet, but its early in the process!. wonderful thing about wood is you are constantly learning new techniques. the hard :doh:part is remembering those new methods the next day!

Back