• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t believe I’ve ever heard you mention that before. ;)

You’ll love the .50.
I am kind of sorry that the barrel is a Rice. makes it harder for me to sell! maybe i will keep it as a match color and finish wise to the one i built from cherry for my wife. at least she glommed onto it with THAT look in her eye, so i of course said it was built for her.

Tom, you make really nice beaded sheaths - about how long do you estimate it takes you to do one like this?
First, thank you for your nice comments. I would estimate that there is probably ~ one hour for layout, nine hours beading in this one and then around an hour in making the inner rawhide case and a couple of hours sewing it all together. So, all together around 14 hours,

Nothing custom like you fellows, just a simple low dollar project picked up here on the forum. A Jukar Colonial, I had a couple of caplocks Colonials from an auction, so I wanted this one to convert to flintlock.

The lock to barrel fit is close. I may have to add some slivers of wood to the back of the lock mortise to fill a couple of gaps. Plenty of wood left on the stock to get rid of the scratch towards the front of the lock. Kroil, brush and steel wooled the bore, lot of gunk came out. Cleaned up the outside of the barrel. Removed the drum, going to have to make a new one as it's one of those silly break bleeder style drums. 10mm×1.25 bolt and a little lathe work should do the trick. Will need to stop by the local farm store to get a metric bolt, they are in short supply here on the old hobby farm. Oh yeah, almost forgot, the trigger is going to need set in a little deeper as it barely hits the sear on the lock and doesn't have enough pull to make the hammer fall.

20240422_180700.jpg

First, thank you for your nice comments. I would estimate that there is probably ~ one hour for layout, nine hours beading in this one and then around an hour in making the inner rawhide case and a couple of hours sewing it all together. So, all together around 14 hours,
You have a lot of patience and a good eye for detail - you really do a beautiful job on these sheaths and I'm glad folks on this forum will see how many man hours it takes to create this artwork.

Nothing custom like you fellows, just a simple low dollar project picked up here on the forum. A Jukar Colonial, I had a couple of caplocks Colonials from an auction, so I wanted this one to convert to flintlock.

The lock to barrel fit is close. I may have to add some slivers of wood to the back of the lock mortise to fill a couple of gaps. Plenty of wood left on the stock to get rid of the scratch towards the front of the lock. Kroil, brush and steel wooled the bore, lot of gunk came out. Cleaned up the outside of the barrel. Removed the drum, going to have to make a new one as it's one of those silly break bleeder style drums. 10mm×1.25 bolt and a little lathe work should do the trick. Will need to stop by the local farm store to get a metric bolt, they are in short supply here on the old hobby farm. Oh yeah, almost forgot, the trigger is going to need set in a little deeper as it barely hits the sear on the lock and doesn't have enough pull to make the hammer fall.

View attachment 314449
I’m hoping to get my pistol back together tomorrow and was going to post the mods I made to the trigger several years ago. I had the same problem, hard trigger pull and lots of slop. I spot welded a thin piece of mild steel above my trigger arm and filed it down until it didn’t touch the sear and no creep. Added brass shims on each side to eliminate the wobble. I’ll show photos tomorrow.

I’m hoping to get my pistol back together tomorrow and was going to post the mods I made to the trigger several years ago. I had the same problem, hard trigger pull and lots of slop. I spot welded a thin piece of mild steel above my trigger arm and filed it down until it didn’t touch the sear and no creep. Added brass shims on each side to eliminate the wobble. I’ll show photos tomorrow.
Looking forward to seeing it!

Trying to put a power point together for this weekend. Attending the Oregon Gun Makers guild meeting and
was asked to give a lil talk on Mule ear/side hammer locks and history. Hoping to take three locks with me?
one is mostly done, one needs a new sear trip made and the third has a hammer so far. :doh:

windows getting replaced today, so not much will get done during the day..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Got the Pedersoli Kentucky .50 pistol remake back together. I guess it looks better, looks different anyway. There’s a couple of before photos that show the unsealed pores in the stock and some carving that didn’t fit the bill. I had already tuned this pistol up a couple of years ago. I didn’t shoot it much after building it because it had a terrible, long, wobbly, hard trigger pull and the lock ate flints. I welded a strip of mild steel to the trigger arm, then filed it down until it cleared the sear with minimal creep. I fixed the side wobble by shimming with some sheet brass. Took the lock apart and gave it a good polishing and thinned the mainspring at the bend, think I thinned the frizzen spring a little too but don’t remember for sure. Any way it’s back together and ready to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_3625.jpeg
    IMG_3625.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0881.jpeg
    IMG_0881.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3644.jpeg
    IMG_3644.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3643.jpeg
    IMG_3643.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3645.jpeg
    IMG_3645.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3647.jpeg
    IMG_3647.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3648.jpeg
    IMG_3648.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3649.jpeg
    IMG_3649.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3650.jpeg
    IMG_3650.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
There’s a couple of before photos that show the unsealed pores in the stock and some carving that didn’t fit the bill. I had already tuned this pistol up a couple of years ago. I didn’t shoot it much after building it because it had a terrible, long, wobbly, hard trigger pull and the lock ate flints. I welded a strip of mild steel to the trigger arm, then filed it down until it cleared the sear with minimal creep. I fixed the side wobble by shimming with some sheet brass. Took the lock apart and gave it a good polishing and thinned the mainspring at the bend, think I thinned the frizzen spring a little too but don’t remember for sure. Any way it’s back together and ready to shoot.

Sealing to pores made a world of difference, looks way better to me!

I really like what you done with the trigger. I tried to slip a piece of windshield washer hose over the sear to temporarily take up some slack, it didn't help much and certainly not the cure. I'm definitely going to have to add on or make a new trigger.

Sealing to pores made a world of difference, looks way better to me!

I really like what you done with the trigger. I tried to slip a piece of windshield washer hose over the sear to temporarily take up some slack, it didn't help much and certainly not the cure. I'm definitely going to have to add on or make a new trigger.
Thanks. And what I did to the trigger took care of all the problems. If you don’t have a welder you could braze another piece on or find a good welding shop close by, then shape it as needed.

Back