• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad all the burl is in the butt of this plank. I've had curly maple kick my tail. At least it was only a pistol. It went in the burn pile.

I started on the patch box lid so I could get a feel for curly maple....never touched the stuff before my Colonial (walnut and beech before). After a couple "where the heck is that line going" moments, I quickly developed a process to help my lines go down relatively straight. I thought a marking gauge would help....heaven help me if the curl didn't make its lines worse than mine! I almost thought my first lid would end up in the bin because of it (turned out pretty decent, so I even tried putting the brass end plate on it).

Now to see if I can "scale up" my dye job from my test block to the full stock. Finishing is going to take a bit (dye, Tung oil, wax) but I think the final results will be worth it (and don't ask me how the heck I managed to match my ramrod to the test block on my first attempt). I suspect my dye will accentuate my lines nicely at this point :)

finally took the bit in my mouth and cleaned one of my bench tops. have 2-3 projects to start and thought it would help. took a picture as proof, tomorrow it will be covered again most likely!

Attachments

• 20240328_220032.jpg
    20240328_220032.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I really dont know where this should go,,but!!today we found out thatmidwest reloading is a scam!!they want you to send a pay pal deal to them,,a freind went through this ,,he did actully get his payment back! wich was rare i thnk he said it was based out of japan,,so beware midwest reloading is a skunk!!!! we were after the rws 1075 caps they had advertised ,2000 for 205 with shipping,,,no deal,,,

I really dont know where this should go,,but!!today we found out thatmidwest reloading is a scam!!they want you to send a pay pal deal to them,,a freind went through this ,,he did actully get his payment back! wich was rare i thnk he said it was based out of japan,,so beware midwest reloading is a skunk!!!! we were after the rws 1075 caps they had advertised ,2000 for 205 with shipping,,,no deal,,,
Powder Valley or Grafs have been having stock of RWS caps. They’re not a scam site. Just expensive!

Powder Valley or Grafs have been having stock of RWS caps. They’re not a scam site. Just expensive!
Has any one hear tried to pour shot with out a shot maker ,I watched a Russian do with a tuna can and used motor oil.Just wandered if any one tried any thing similar and what kinda success they had .look forward to some answers.

Always on the lookout for rocks. Actually an easy place to find chert is in "river rock" that someone bought for landscaping. I am always picking up a piece or two while at work as most of our buildings use river rock in landscaping.

View attachment 308190
Managed 3 pieces from the above rock. Pretty low grade, but free I suppose.
IMG_20240329_145803494.jpg

It might spark better with a newer frizzen, this one is at least from the 70's!

A break in the weather sent me to the range with a little custom .36 caplock and a PA Hunter Carbine. I never got around to the .50 carbine but I managed 45 shots from the .36 testing loads at 25 yards. I made some good progress too.

About 3/4 through my day I was interrupted by a fellow asking if I might help him with his blackpowder gun, an 1858 Remington replica, and a nice one. Anyway I spent about a half hour with the guy. He asked how long I'd been shooting blackpowder and when I told him since 1976 he said that was two years before he was born. I think I'm starting to feel it too. Oh, I watched him fire the first ever cylinder of loads and with every shot he got a big grin and laughed like heck. He seemed a real nice guy, appreciative too.

To cap the near perfect day, as I fired up my truck a guy flagged me down. Another novice muzzleloader shooter. As it turns out he wasn't the real deal rather a modern muzzleloader shooter. Anyway he told me I looked like I knew what I was doing and would like some help. His question was about his powder measurer so that was easy.

Got home and did my final, detailed, gun cleaning.

Attachments

• 20240329_120817.jpg
    20240329_120817.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
cleaned some more in the shop. spent the last 4 hours sharpening my chisels and scrapers. spent 1 hour flattening 2 whet stones first.
thought about shooting but the thought was fleeting.
have something needs done in the forbidden realm of unmentionables so will finish the day with that.
suns right so i am going to make some smoke. i am so weak willed! :doh:

Always on the lookout for rocks. Actually an easy place to find chert is in "river rock" that someone bought for landscaping. I am always picking up a piece or two while at work as most of our buildings use river rock in landscaping.

View attachment 308190
I was spraying fruit trees the other day when I got a phone call. Shut off the tractor and was wandering around while on the phone. I noticed some black rocks in my driveway…. I reached down and picked up some black flint. Then another, then another, and before I knew it, I had two pockets full of flint. I’ve looked for flint in my driveway gravel numerous times, but never the whole length. I found the hot spot!
image.jpg

Last edited:
My poor old used and abused camp stool was in need of a new seat........so it got one.
I'm pretty sure years of sweat, spilt beer, tequila and tobacco spit added to the degeneration of the last one but it was cloth, this one is leather.
Rendezvous is coming up and this seat will be commissioned with the same ingredients 😉

Attachments

• IMG_20240330_125951912~2.jpg
    IMG_20240330_125951912~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

View attachment 308190
Years ago I was walking a trail in Western North Carolina just below the Blue Ridge Parkway. (Up hill) I noticed a piece of black stone kinda smallish. I picked it up and thought I could use it , maybe in my flint lock. When I got home I remembered that black flint is not from this area. Mostly a quartz type chirt was used. After cleaning it up it appeared to be a small scraper, maybe attached to a stick. So I figured it had been traded or lost from a northern band.

Plinking and Trekking today on the farm with the DGW .36 Cub Flintlock! Just a wonderful day to be out and about.

I am not really a "content" creator as some of the guys here, but do my best to share my adventures! Shout-out to Black Powder Maniac Shooter, if you are ever in Iowa, lets do some shooting!

I attended a small local gun show this morning held at a local gun club, Not a lot of muzzleloading stuff. I did find a lb of 3f imported black powder and some TC 54 cal speed loaders.

Plinking and Trekking today on the farm with the DGW .36 Cub Flintlock! Just a wonderful day to be out and about.

I am not really a "content" creator as some of the guys here, but do my best to share my adventures! Shout-out to Black Powder Maniac Shooter, if you are ever in Iowa, lets do some shooting!

Nice video. I think if I stayed kneeling for that long, you’d just have to cover me up right there, ‘cuz I’d never be able to get back up again!
😬

Back