• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah. This guy here in Australia has some good ideas and products. All beautifully made, marine grade - may give you some inspiration for an external fitting? If the link doesn't work, just google jacktarslocker. 👍

https://jacktarslocker.com.au/

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 307604

Thanks for that, Pete… I was considering a braided leather handle… just couldn’t remember how to do one, but you prompted me to look it up, and of course, there was a video online about how to do it. 😬

Shot my North American arms super companion. Two full cylinders of 5 rounds each and I had 100% ignition using CCI number 11s.

But after the first two rounds on each cylinder there was a jam towards the bottom of the frame with the spent cap. Requiring some fidgeting before shot number three

With every other cap I have tried besides the recommended Remington number 11 which I cannot find... I get plenty of misfires sometimes having to hit a cap three times. This includes Winchester magnum 11s and rsws and Remington number 10s

CCI number 11 require a small pinch because they seem to fit loosen up on the nipple that falling off can be a problem.

Friend dropped his old .45 cal JUKAR rifle , and wanted me to "go over it" for next year's Pa. flint late season deer hunt. I do this stuff for friends , and don't charge anyone . It gives me some laughs , and something to do on cold nights. Truthfully , this old jukar should maybe be labeled JUNKER. Last time I saw a rusted bore like this was on an original Potsdam musket in 1973. I put some 00 steel wool on a .40 cal. bronze brush , and screwed the wooled brush on a steel range rod. Couple shots of ballistol , with 50 strokes in and out , produced rust colored small mud puddle on the floor by the vise. Dunno......thinkin' Colerain barrel guys might get a call soon. I sit here laughing to myself at the condition of this barrel. This is a guy that was going to wipe out his barrel , didn't realize the rifle had a load in it , somehow pulled the trigger , and the ramrod shot through the garage ceiling , and stuck into the ceiling of an upstairs bedroom. nobody was impaled . He was pi$$ed at his wife for telling me what he did. I can't stop seeing the humor in this, I know , i'm a sicko too for laughing . I asked the JUKAR's owner once , why he didn't have a rifle in better condition , and his reply was that he hated cleaning m/l rifles. Guess if I can get him slowed down long enough to talk w/ him , I might try to teach him how to clean his new .50 cal. Colerain barrel. He has ADD , super intelligent human being , but is challenged. He is the first guy at my door if I need help , It's just the way he is.

Received an auction win off of GB today. I thought it was a defarbed artillery CS 1861 and not worried much about the barrel or lock, just wanted a defarb to guide off to do the same to my Armi Sport 1861. I pulled the barrel and what do I see? A Whitacre Machine barrel! According to Whitacre's website, the barrel has progressive depth rifling, 1:72 and the bore is spotless. The lock is super nice with a crisp letoff. Stamped inside the barrel channel: BLT BY F.C. LEWIS PR WMCO VA SEP 1998 NO. 4 RSR.

Anyone have intel on this builder? He did a fantastic job. This is gonna be a sweet shooter.

Defarb 1861-1.jpg

Defarb 1861-2.jpg

Defarb 1861-3.jpg

Pray for me gang. This will be a challenge like no other. Sxs shotgun inleting both barrels and ramrod. What could go wrong. I think I will do barrels first then the ramrod. The 1" gunline is exact size for barrels might use the Rikon Mortiser for most of the ramrod slot.

Attachments

• 20240328_204659.jpg
    20240328_204659.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240328_205439.jpg
    20240328_205439.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Pray for me gang. This will be a challenge like no other. Sxs shotgun inleting both barrels and ramrod. What could go wrong. I think I will do barrels first then the ramrod. The 1" gunline is exact size for barrels might use the Rikon Mortiser for most of the ramrod slot.
I feel that pain... hadn't done any stock customizing until the last few days and the curly maple was trying it's best to turn all my straight lines into squiggles. You've got this CTL!

I feel that pain... hadn't done any stock customizing until the last few days and the curly maple was trying it's best to turn all my straight lines into squiggles. You've got this CTL!
I'm glad all the burl is in the butt of this plank. I've had curly maple kick my tail. At least it was only a pistol. It went in the burn pile.

Back