• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On and off thumder showers all day. Piddled in the shop. Did some relief sketches and then drew a design on one of the stocks I got from @Century to late. I was happy with the drawing but things went downhill once I started carving. Got tired of sanding off mistakes. I’m beginning to think that relief carving stocks may not be in the cards for me!

Attachments

• IMG_2240.jpeg
    IMG_2240.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2243.jpeg
    IMG_2243.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
How long have you been carving on a stock? Three weeks or so? Don’t give up now! I’ll bet it took some of the big names a while to get really good at it. If it was easy, there wouldn’t be a years long wait for a custom gun. Some of what you’ve shown here looked pretty darned good to be so new at it!

A narrative, forged by the westerly wind! I went to the local range this morning, where the wind normally comes from the east, moving across the target from left to right. Not this morning; the exact opposite was happening, blowing strong from the west at the start and dropping right off over the three hours I was there. Why three hours to shoot 13 shots? I was helping some new members set up their combos, getting their shots on paper. Anyhow, as you can see, the 50-metre target tells what the wind was doing - the last four shots finding the bull. I used the same central hold throughout. My Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken really shoots nicely with a .530 home cast dead soft round ball, a .018 square cut pillow ticking patch, a lubed over powder wad and 60gn of Wano true black. Tom A Hawk's peep sight (forum member) sure aids my 66-year-old eyes, making the front sight sharp and defined.

Kindest regards, Pete

View attachment 234322View attachment 234323
That's better than I have ever shot [green monster in me] Polecat

I got a package in the mail today. Ordered lead from @Justin.44 on Thursday, and Saturday it was here! Quick shipping, and the lead looks great. 45 pounds in a Medium Flat Rate Priority Mail box. *The powder can was just a handy thing I had close by I could grab to show the scale of the little ingots. They're the perfect size if I want to melt them over a campfire with a cast iron ladle I have in my plunder... They were a lot smaller than I had envisioned them, based on the photo he showed with the bathroom scale in his classified. But, nevertheless, 45 pounds is 45 pounds!

View attachment 234475

And I found the lead INSIDE my mailbox! I hope the mailman didn't hurt his back putting it inside there.

View attachment 234476

I do have a rather substantial mailbox and post... I always knew I'd have a good reason for overbuilding it!
I was so dumb when I started ML shooting, I melted lead in a pork and bean can over a camp stove fire. No one near me to teach, no internet and very little printed advice. But I got there; oh, the can worked fine held in large vice grips. Fun time. :rolleyes: Polecat 🦨

Bought a Traditions 1858 .44 revolver new in the box today along with a bunch of accessories for $200. He also had an unopened 1lb can of Bullseye smokeless powder someone had told him he could use in the revolver, luckily he never tried it! He sold the Bullseye for $10 to use in my unmentionable pistols.

Now I can shoot pistol and rifle in the monthly postal match!IMG_1252.jpegIMG_1253.jpeg

I was so dumb when I started ML shooting, I melted lead in a pork and bean can over a camp stove fire. No one near me to teach, no internet and very little printed advice. But I got there; oh, the can worked fine held in large vice grips. Fun time. :rolleyes: Polecat 🦨
Dale that wasn't dumb! I used a big spoon(ladle) from the set we got for our wedding! 54 years later and i still have knuckle bumps on my head. wemons never forget!

On and off thumder showers all day. Piddled in the shop. Did some relief sketches and then drew a design on one of the stocks I got from @Century to late. I was happy with the drawing but things went downhill once I started carving. Got tired of sanding off mistakes. I’m beginning to think that relief carving stocks may not be in the cards for me!
Looks fine keep at it.

today i finished making a underlug for the Sharon barrel i am putting into a very nice Investarms stock.
then i silver soldered it , and silver soldered it, and silver soldered it on. my hands were shaking today and every time i got it set, and tried to wisk the excess solder off, i would knock the thing Ascue, or clear off. and it would land in some dust or dirt or sawdust or a spot of grease.
i started smelling ivory soap so i shut up and when the blue air cleared i tried one more time.
its mounted in the stock , awaiting the under rib Totw is sending me, i hope.
why is it one thinks they have everything and it turns out the under rib they have is 2 inches short. maybe i should build a carbine of sorts, or another pistol:dunno:

Today I put the Aqua Fortis on the stock of the Woodsrunner, then hit it with a heat gun after that dried. A few minutes ago I put on the first coat of Rocky Mountain Forge Permalyn and it is hanging in the bathroom now (tallest place I could find to hang it) to dry. The stock came out dark this time, (as opposed to my Southern Mountain) but I wanted it to look old and aged. I'm happy.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

(yes, I know, pictures, pictures. one of these days)

Today I put the Aqua Fortis on the stock of the Woodsrunner, then hit it with a heat gun after that dried. A few minutes ago I put on the first coat of Rocky Mountain Forge Permalyn and it is hanging in the bathroom now (tallest place I could find to hang it) to dry. The stock came out dark this time, (as opposed to my Southern Mountain) but I wanted it to look old and aged. I'm happy.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

(yes, I know, pictures, pictures. one of these days)
Pictures!

Back