• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a piece of stainless shim stock will fix it. I would start with about .01 thick. You stated that you removed the drum when you clean. I would guess loosening and tighting over time has stretched the threads

Continuing to right size my ramrods, put on quality 10/32 threaded end caps and then pin them.

Doesn't sound like much to do, if you don't take into account that I recently cleaned my gun room and bench, it took me lots more time to FIND the end caps than it took to do the job. The shop was cold when I started this morning, but after digging around and cussing, I heated up the room just fine.

Last edited:
Took delivery of a very nice smoothbore flinter from a fellow forum member. Possibly an early Jackie Brown Carolina gun in .54ish caliber. Reads .563 at the muzzle with dial calipers. Need to dig out the hole gauges.
--Edit-- After a more accurate measure, it reads .562 at a depth of 4"--

My first shot, offhand, hit a 9" plate @ 60 yards! Total luck, but I'll take it as a good omen!

Here's dad shooting a smoothbore for his first time..."Where's the rear sight?!" 😂

Last edited:
I made 3 round ball cutters with a 'Spin Index' and a surface grinder.

I had to make the holder and stop. The last one I did like this was in the mid 80s.

I cut test holes in aluminum to make sure the worked OK.

They are made from old junk end mills.

IMG_0076w.jpg
IMG_0078w.jpg

Digging through boxes in my gun work/storage area I consolidated most of the unopened packages of caps. Looks like I have around 1500 not counting what are in shooting bags and range boxes. I guess I’m set for a while. Most are #11 CCI. I would like some #10 Remingtons but haven’t seen those since the great Covid drought and Remington bankruptcy sale.

Made a cow's knee and re-arranged possibles bag, eliminating stuff I never use in the field.
Made a hair-on sheath to hold and disguise my Latherman tool. Goes on my waist belt that holds my hatchet and keeps my possible bag in place.
Melted some bees wax with Crisco, let it harden in a brass container much like a percussion cap tin except much heavier and larger. The Crisco makes the wax softer; I use it to waterproof around the flintlock.

Finally working on my woods walk. Cut some targets out with my old plasma cutter. Had this 3/8” sheet that had already been butchered up, so it’s an ugly combination of shapes and sizes. Tomorrow I’ll cut some chain lengths up and weld them on. After they’re painted and hung they should be ok. I’ve got more scrap metal that dig through, hopefully end up with 12 targets for the course.

Attachments

• FD34C053-1CE5-413F-BE55-A50C342B7B9E.jpeg
    FD34C053-1CE5-413F-BE55-A50C342B7B9E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I took my Peder KY 32 out back to a real bench where I could sit down and shoot it.
I shot three shots. then swabbed with alcohol, then three more. Weird. Two really nice groups, lol.
6@50 25g 010 patch.jpg

But that amounts to a 2" group at 50yds, so I'm happy with it. I just don't understand the change. Is it my eyes or the gun? I think next outing, more likely tomorrow, I'll try a thicker patch and see if that affects anything. It's almost like I was using two different charges.

Oh. And I had my first dryball.

I was going to change up to a spit patch and got the ball started with the short starter before my brain started working again.
I tried every tip in the kit I bought for my compressor and couldn't get the ball to move. So I dribbled in 4F, which wasn't that hard to do.
Click/Pfff/Nothing.

Then I dribbled in some more 4F and after 3-4 times with the brass push primer, I tipped the muzzle down and tapped the stock so the powder would move up in the Patent breech, then repeated that a couple more times. That did it.

I didn't see the ball come out or the grass move, but I had a nice cloud of smoke come out of the muzzle and knew it was out. I verified with the gun's ramrod.

I hope that never happens again.

Shot a few "fun" targets,,, among them a bread roll that was suitable only for use as a hockey puck. Then spread out all the stuff I keep in my possibles bag these days on the kitchen table. Descriptions under photograph.
IMG_20230214_141406_hdr.jpg

Generally L - R and T - B. 1. Possibles bag with belt knife sheath on front of carry strap. 2. Powder horn with 3f Pyrodex. 3. T/C Seneca .36. 4. Shooter's "necklace" with T/C Shoot-N-See snail drum capper, home-made .32/.36 short starter and 15/20 grain deer antler powder measure. 5. Reader's glasses in case. 6. Tin with .350 round balls and pre-lubed patches. 7. Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (Explorer?). 8. Boker single-blade Barlow. 9. Honing oil. 10. Pocket Washita stones in fine and medium. 11. Custom knife with Damascus blade gifted to me by a customer. 12. Pocket compass (not pictured)

Items get swapped out depending upon the TO&E/mission statement.

Yeah, I know; too many knives?

A few years back, I put together a Damascus bladed knife. It has a brass hilt and a stag handle.

Today, I made a sheath for it to carry with my Confederate gear while shooting N-SSA matches.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Nice groups @pacanis, I have the same problems with groups shifting. I think it’s us.

Thanks. And thanks.
Painting the blade white certainly helped get rid of the fuzziness, but now the rear sight is harder to see :rolleyes:
I imagine it's me.

And the trigger broke in at a nice 5 to 5.5lbs. I checked it when I got back.

@Dale Allen Raby , you should throw a worm and some tow in your tin just in case you want a quick swab. And to keep things from rattling. Or not. Just a suggestion.

Back