• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Met up with SDSMlf yesterday at his club range. It had been many many years since I shot and recently had my gun refreshed and ready for shooting. It was great getting to shoot and become reacquainted with the process from loading. shooting to cleaning and picking up a lot of great tips from his years of experience. I have only shot percussion previously and got to shoot a flintlock for the first time. I really appreciated his invite and time and sharing of his supplies which I did not have. I really learned a lot and look forward to shooting with him again.
@Rhacknc, enjoyed the day at range. We had a few equipment challenges, but nothing we couldn’t figure out. It’s always a good day for me when I can introduce, or in this case re-introduce someone to traditional muzzleloading. Rhacknc was worried about getting his gun on paper. Well, after a little time getting things set up he was able to scare the daylights out of a target at 50 yards, with all shots from three different guns, his percussion, a smoothbore and a flintlock collectively making a decent group. Definitely ‘minute of deer’ as some like to say. Great for a first outing in 30 years.

We will do it again.

Found this rock in the garden. There might be something good in it🤞

View attachment 315487View attachment 315490

Opened it up today. It was too brittle and had too much junk in it. Nothing much there to work with. Oh well.

3DBB3736-2AC5-47BA-8996-C41865EE629A.jpeg

Completely cleaned my gun bench, put everything where it goes. I even boxed up the rifle I started a couple weeks ago. 12 days ago I got hurt at work, completely tore my bicep muscle off the bone at my elbow. It’s retracted up my arm about 4” looks like a softball under the skin. Surgery is tomorrow to fix it. Unfortunately it will be a couple months before I can get back to shooting, building or reloading.

The glue experiment: I don't know how long I boiled it but I added water constantly. Shut it off when I was done in the shop. So today it is a firm gel. Still has the rawhide in it. Gonna add more water and warm it to see what happens.

20240430_101235_copy_480x640.jpg

Broke a ramrod today. Not in the barrel, I took it off the rifle to show a guy shooting an inline next to me an went to lay it on the bench while still talking and dropped it. As I turned to pick it up, I stepped on it,:doh: and it snapped a couple inches below the brass tip. It was the original rod that came with the gun, so it lasted a good while. I still had my range rod soit wasn't a total goof!!

Completely cleaned my gun bench, put everything where it goes. I even boxed up the rifle I started a couple weeks ago. 12 days ago I got hurt at work, completely tore my bicep muscle off the bone at my elbow. It’s retracted up my arm about 4” looks like a softball under the skin. Surgery is tomorrow to fix it. Unfortunately it will be a couple months before I can get back to shooting, building or reloading.
Wow, bummer big time. Prayers and best wishes for a great outcome. Hang in there, these surgeons are amazing.

That's a tough break right there. Good luck with the surgery and recovery 🙏

Prayers your procedure goes well.

The glue experiment: I don't know how long I boiled it but I added water constantly. Shut it off when I was done in the shop. So today it is a firm gel. Still has the rawhide in it. Gonna add more water and warm it to see what happens.

View attachment 316367
Well it looks dam tasty to me. Reminds me of buttered noodles!

View attachment 316367
Needs salt and pepper.

Good luck and Prayers all goes well🙏

After a trip across country for a conference, I got back yesterday and whipped up a new batch of cut oil tonight. The Tung oil was far less cut than the first two coats, and the third coat overall is now on.

Making progress...but right now we're getting a late season snow dump, so no photos in the sun today.

Not done anything yet, since the range doesn't open till ten a.m. But I'll be taking my trusty old Musketoon for an outing, and sending 1 oz projectiles at a piece of innocent backstop - just for the fun of doing it. :)

This isn't so much a 'What did you do' than a 'What would you do'. Like many here my finances for my hobbies are stretched and I can only buy one new 'thing' every six months or so. This means that over the past 2 years of rejoining this activity I have two pistols and two rifles. I am also into music, and have several guitars, a mandolin and two double basses. This is where I need your advice. Recently I have been thinking about getting into brass instruments, in particular the Trumpet (or Cornet). I have seen a rather nice one for the lowish price of 150 Euros (about 170 Dollars). on the other hand, I have spotted this little beauty for sale for 700 Euros. Its being sold as a 'Confederate cavalry carbine 58 caliber'. Italian made, by Antonio Zoli and Co. I've always wanted a musketoon to 'balance out' my long guns. What do you reckon? I will by the end of the week accept the advice of the majority who kindly take the time to answer and reply to this post. Madame Harrison has agreed that should the majority go with the musketoon, thats fine. But it uses up all my 'Nice Things' budget for the rest of the year.

Attachments

• 600h600f_00001_Mousqueton-Carabine-de-cavalerie-Confedere---calibre-58.jpg
    600h600f_00001_Mousqueton-Carabine-de-cavalerie-Confedere---calibre-58.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 600h600f_00005_Mousqueton-Carabine-de-cavalerie-Confedere---calibre-58.jpg
    600h600f_00005_Mousqueton-Carabine-de-cavalerie-Confedere---calibre-58.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
  • trumpet.jpg
    trumpet.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 0
This isn't so much a 'What did you do' than a 'What would you do'. Like many here my finances for my hobbies are stretched and I can only buy one new 'thing' every six months or so. This means that over the past 2 years of rejoining this activity I have two pistols and two rifles. I am also into music, and have several guitars, a mandolin and two double basses. This is where I need your advice. Recently I have been thinking about getting into brass instruments, in particular the Trumpet (or Cornet). I have seen a rather nice one for the lowish price of 150 Euros (about 170 Dollars). on the other hand, I have spotted this little beauty for sale for 700 Euros. Its being sold as a 'Confederate cavalry carbine 58 caliber'. Italian made, by Antonio Zoli and Co. I've always wanted a musketoon to 'balance out' my long guns. What do you reckon? I will by the end of the week accept the advice of the majority who kindly take the time to answer and reply to this post. Madame Harrison has agreed that should the majority go with the musketoon, thats fine. But it uses up all my 'Nice Things' budget for the rest of the year.
You can't go wrong making music with a gong.

Latest posts

Back