• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What kind of stock Finish/wax to use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brno

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of wax or finish should I use on the stock of my Loyalist Arms Bess?

I like an oil FINISH such as one gets from Lin-Speed or Tru Oil. Your firearm already comes with some kind of finish, you'd have to strip it to use either one.
For wax, a good furniture wax with plenty of Carnuba will do. I put it on the metal parts too, which waterproofs it for a couple/three days dependin' on how hard it rains. You have to take the barrel tang and lock plate off to git all the wood. :v

I recommend putting at minimum a stock wax- but I prefer to put in an oil finish- on all the mortises, end grain, under the buttplate, for instance, and in the barrel channel and tang mortise, to seal the wood well. Waxes don't prevent moisture from entering the wood. Linseed oil, even boiled linseed oil won't either. However, a good stock finish, like those mentioned, have driers in them and they do seal the wood. You can also put a good all temperature grease, like water pump grease, in the stock channel to help protect both the wood and metal on the underside of the barrel during rains. There are some newish lubricants that are made from silicon gels that stay soft to unconscionably cold tempertures, yet do not melt in hot climates, either, which you should also consider, particularly if this is a gun from which you are unlikely to remove the barrel from the stock frequently for cleaning.I also put stock finish, thinly, in the lock mortise, to seal those open grains, and protect the water from oil, water, and anything else that might get into the lock. That level of protect has paid off for me when I have hunted all day in the rain, or spent a weekend camping out, with the weather changing daily, and always some rain during one of the nights. Use a common household furniture wax, unless you just have to spend a lot of money on wax, to help protect the finish and wood, and metal. I have found that wiping down the barrel and ferrels with a cleaning patch containing NL1000 protects the metal from rusting very well, but if the gun is handled much, the surfaces need to be re-greased before leaving the gun in a case, or in camp for any length of time.

Hello...
The loyalist bess..I have one aswell awesome...which model did you get get..

Anyhow I used minwax "special walnut" in lots of SUPER THIN coats removed the barel and all the brass then after I was satisfied it was dry and no longer tacky I mixed 50/50 raw lynseed oil and varsol in a whole bunch of coats letting it dry 2 -5 days between coats ....AWESOME...

Every time I clean it after shooting or excessive handling i oil the stock in the same 50/50 mixture and its seems to work great

I dred the 1 st major gouge..

I bought the 1st Model, haven`t shot it yet as I`m waiting on a mold, and its -25c out.

Back