• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the history behind this muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AyrtonF14

.50 cal
Reaction score
My friend and I recently purchased our first muzzleloaders, he ended up getting a Traditions Deerhunter (wood percussion), but originally (before it went out of stock) he was going to get something called a "Springfield Hawken" it was funny because he loved the traditions Hawken woodsman but he despises the dual trigger setup, and this particular rifle was identical to the Hawken woodsman but with only one trigger, unfortunately it went out of stock before he could buy it, I was curious about the gun because I had never seen it before and after hours of research I have somehow found close to nothing on that gun, i even used the wayback machine website to find old catalogs for traditions to see when they sold it but nothing came up from 2000-2022 in their websites, also when i search for the gun online only like 3 auctions for it pop up that happened years ago, also the product serial number for the gun is identical to the Hawken woodsman, which has the dual triggers and is much more documented. I know traditions has been around since the mid 80's so I was thinking that it was an ancient; (okay the 80's wasn't that long ago); muzzleloader from that time frame but I just cant find any definitive evidence behind that nore can I find any media on the gun, I found 1 YouTube video that was shot in 144p haha. So if anyone here has any history to teach me about this gun (Ozark Springfield Hawken) please let me know! :doh:

My friend and I recently purchased our first muzzleloaders, he ended up getting a Traditions Deerhunter (wood percussion), but originally (before it went out of stock) he was going to get something called a "Springfield Hawken" it was funny because he loved the traditions Hawken woodsman but he despises the dual trigger setup, and this particular rifle was identical to the Hawken woodsman but with only one trigger, unfortunately it went out of stock before he could buy it, I was curious about the gun because I had never seen it before and after hours of research I have somehow found close to nothing on that gun, i even used the wayback machine website to find old catalogs for traditions to see when they sold it but nothing came up from 2000-2022 in their websites, also when i search for the gun online only like 3 auctions for it pop up that happened years ago, also the product serial number for the gun is identical to the Hawken woodsman, which has the dual triggers and is much more documented. I know traditions has been around since the mid 80's so I was thinking that it was an ancient; (okay the 80's wasn't that long ago); muzzleloader from that time frame but I just cant find any definitive evidence behind that nore can I find any media on the gun, I found 1 YouTube video that was shot in 144p haha. So if anyone here has any history to teach me about this gun (Ozark Springfield Hawken) please let me know! :doh:
All I know about them is I bought one a month ago. It had been given to a friend who was a scrap dealer. It had been loaded for many years. Not once but twice one charge and ball over another. I was lucky and got both out. Cleaned it up scrubbed bore many times. Test fired 3 shots 80 gr ffg 30 yards. One inch group. I have not had time to shoot it at a greater distance but it looks promising. Did I mention the barrel was in the scrap bin and the brass had been removed for scrap also. Stock is excellent, I did manage to find every bit piece and screw. I bought the rifle for.......$20.00. That is all I know about them

Traditions and CVA came up with so many different names for their guns through all the years it's really a hodge-podge.
Honest.
Both are importers of Spanish made guns from the same factory's with two different lock variations;
The UN-bridled single screw adjusted tumbler for one trigger, or the bridled with fly for dual trigger.
They changed the lock plate shape and mounting bolt placement through the decades just to accommodate variations for marketing but the function of the internal lock mechanism and triggers stayed the same. (even to this day).
It's too bad your friend doesn't like the dual trigger models, the bridled lock is much better in it's tumbler support and function than it's cheaper cousin.
Other variations of models had/has to do with twist rate, length and caliber of the offered barrels as well as a button or hook breech assembly and the location/placement of any stock mounting wedges.

What is it you really wanna know?

Last edited:
Those Spanish rifles that are imported to the US have excellent barrels that are very accurate. I've owned a few Traditions and CVAs and have been well satisfied with them. I've taken quite a few deer with them. My personal favorite is the Traditions "Crockett" .32. I've yet to come across any .32 US made that can beat it for accuracy. But equal to it, yes, yes.

Back