• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What gun for early 1700's Virginia.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to have some firearms for Elizabethan through Jamestown era reenactment. After doing some research I built a couple of pieces, and acquired a couple more.

That 1600-1700 range is broad, and covers a lot of styles and change. Assuming an English colony, everything from the Dutch influence on English military weapons, through the English Civil War to Queen Anne period. This would cover fishtail stocks, paddle buts, and rounded heels on the stock. Also depending on how early, you can expect to find snaphaunces, english locks, and even occasional wheellocks. The "firelocks", to use an early 17th century term, were disproportionately represented in the colonies after they found the matchlocks did not work well against Indians.

Looking at a copy of Fireamrs in Colonial America by Brown, Arms and Armor in Colonial America by Peterson, or the various works by Puype, is informative.

In the attached pic, These covers are of the first half of the 17th century. The top two are my builds. the wheel lock was my second. Number two is a snaphaunce. Both those pieces are patterned off the Dutch regulations of 1596, which set the early standards for English military guns. The matchlock (third from the top) is Lodgewood, It is appropriate for turn of the century (i.e. 1600 sear bar, cannon muzzle, no buttplate). The English lock fishtail 4th from the top is Leonard Day. Representative of the Englich Civil War period. The wheellock carbine 5th from the top is an original found in the southwest, and restocked at some point. The Bottom one is a paddle but, also by Day. All of the bottom three have nailed butt plates. They are all smooth bore.
I have been busy but following this. I think I would like to find a kit similar to the English lock fishtail or paddle butt.

I like the selection from the rifle shoppe just wish they included pictures of the kit and a finished kit. A description and list of parts doesn’t work for me. I do have two guns from their collection.

I think I am going with the cookson doglock fowler from the rifle shoppe. I would like to see a photo of one of these kits finished and am waiting on them for some photos.
Call first to see if in stock. Otherwise you will have to wait until they manufacture another batch, which can be a long wait.

Latest posts

Back