• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you name your smoothbore's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seven smoothbores, though only one is named. The trade gun is Layla, which is because she has stock that is painted red, and since she is from India, I looked up where her barrel was made, and in the local language Lala [pronounced Layla] means "red".

My two rifles are both named, however.

LD

That is something that reminds me of a habit amongst some farmers to not giving names to any animal that is raised for slaughter, but only to animals that are kept like horses, milking cows etc ... I never gave any gun a name, but my latest does please me so that I called it Sparky ... There's a first time for everything ...

My .54 is Josiah
My 20 ga smoothie is Ol’ Doc, after the feller I got it from.
My Trade Gun is still earning a name, just hasn’t come to me yet!

Naming guns has been done for a long time. Late 18th century, Kentucky frontier, interview of William Moseby by John Dabney Shane:

"First fire hunt at night went with my father and older brother, 4 large bucks were killed with the gun called Frank loaded with about 30 buckshot as large as our rifle balls now, and was taken by my father in the Revolution from a British soldier whom he overcome."

Daniel Boone's rifle is said to have been called Tick-Licker, I assume he named it if that is true.

Spence

I call my India Pattern "Legacy" as my Dad bought it for me...... Although sometimes I call her "Contrary"

I call my flintlock "Flintlock"

My old army "Old Army"

my shotgun "Shotgun"

and so on

creativity has never been my long suit.

nhmoose said:
Not to above but OP

Not being a girl I do not name inanimate objects including cars names.

Your choice if you do, just saying not judging

Never named a car; but sailboats and flintlocks need a name so you can coax them into obedience . . . or at least negotiate a truce.

Makes as much sense to name a flintlock as it does to name a cat. ;-)

We've had 11 cats since 1980. Two would come when called by name.

My .54 is Ol' Thunderpole. My 28 ga. English fowler is Sweet Anne after my girlfriend.

Latest posts

Back