• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you lube your locks with?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High temp auto wheel bearing grease for all that you mentioned.....Fred

Gun oil, I use Hoppes 9 Lubricating oil.
The same for long term with the locks and triggers.
Frequency? It's a need basis,, about once a month I guess.
Oil does dry and get gummy so it needs to be cleaned off and freshed every so often

Gun oil. Plenty of it.
Never grease. :surrender:
Clean and oil the lock every time I shoot/clean the gun. If the gun has been stored for a while I will lube it up before shooting it. In my business I have seen the ravages of neglected locks many times. Keep them clean and well oiled and they will serve you well.

a drop of silicon oil where the tumbler comes through the lockplate & where the sear bar pivots. too much oil gives gunk & crud a place to stick & gum things up.

I never use grease on my locks. I only use a light gun oil and wipe them down with oil every so often. I feel like grease could slow the lock down with its viscosity being higher creating more of a drag on the hammer.

After I clean the lock I put a SMALL DAB of Lubriplate or other good grease on the interface of the tumbler to main spring for a Siler type lock and a SMALL DROP of good gun oil where the tumbler axel goes through the plate and bridle then a SMALL DROP to the sear spring & screw pivot area. On the outside I also put a SMALL DAB of Lubriplate or other good grease on the interface of the frizzen toe & frizzen spring - the key word here is SMALL. I then put the gun into the safe until next time it is shot.

I always put a dab of grease on the frizzen spring, where the heel of the frizzen compresses the spring. I'm talking about a tiny dab, on a toothpick. Anti-seize or choke tube grease works just fine. The outside of the lock should be cleaned following all shooting...,anyway. I usually just spray Rem-oil on the inside of the lock, then wipe off the excess. When two pieces of metal are rubbing together, under a lot of pressure, a dab of grease will be there, where the oil may not. Probably, because I am a machinist, I tend to look at a variety of moving surfaces and decide how I will lubricate each part.

I'm too slow, I think zug, pretty well covered it.

I used to use the old stand by G.I. gun oil. But about eight years ago a retired special forces friend told me all they ever used on their guns was "Three in One" Oil I switched and have never had a problem since. :idunno:

Zug's procedure looks about right. Tip of a toothpick is a good applicator.
LESS is enough. If you look at how a NEW lock is lubed from the maker (I recently had the opportunity to do just that)...it pretty much matches Zug's description.
I have discussed this question with "Blackpowder Barbie" at Jim Chambers Flintlocks Inc. She tells me that a LOT of the locks folks send in for service/repair problems are simply too gunked up with too much grease, etc.

One might take into consideration where one lives and where the gun is stored. . .

When we were living at sea liberal oil on everything was a must to slow rust.

Flehto is a pretty smart cookie and I seldom disagree with him but on the point of lubricating a lock, he and I differ. I do not like to use grease on my locks because it collects dirt and gunk. My personal preference for day to day use is a good gun oil but not Barricade because it thickens over time. It would be great if you plan to store your gun long term but for short term use, I prefer any other good gun oil or even 3 in 1 oil. Just a tiny drop on the moving surfaces is all you need. Like I say, excessive oil or grease will just attract dirt and gunk. However, if you plan to store your gun long term, I'd use Barricade to completely coat my lock. When you take it out of storage, rinse it in something like mineral spirits to remove the thickened Barricade and then lube with a drop or two of gun oil before going to the range.

Sorry, Fred (Flehto), I thoroughly respect your opinions but we just differ on this point.

Scota4570 said:
https://www.theruststore.com/Fluid-Film-1175-oz-Aerosol-P179.aspx?gclid=CNb63bqyy84CFcVgfgodFCYJww

Lanolin is a great lube and preservative. I use this stuff for almost all my gun needs. It is in stock locally.

Nope, can't agree with using lanolin as any kind of metal preservative because it has absolutely no anti-corrosion inhibitors in like a good gun oil has. It will work for a while by simply occluding air and moisture from the surface but it has no corrosion inhibitors so it is not good for long term use. Lanolin as a patch lube might be okay, I don't know because I have never tried it but it is not good as a rust inhibitor. 3 in 1 is much cheaper and much better.

Back