• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Brand of #11 caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wink

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What brand of #11 caps do you all favor, and what brands do you from your experience shy away from?

I shoot CCI almost exclusively, I've used remington caps but they tend to run a bit smaller and are not as reliable IMO.

I am using the new hot Remington right now. I like the German RSW the best. As soon as I get up to Log Cabin I will get some RSW. Dilly

I bought a whole bunch of the new Remington #11s for 25 cents a tin at Walmart. They work fine.

I normally use Remington caps and have never had a problem with them. Years ago I tried some CCI caps and had a problem with them sticking on the nipple after firing. I haven't tried them lately. The old ones weren't split on the sides. May be different now.

Caps are one area where it's a matter of trying them to see if they'll work for you. For example, I've never had good luck with CCI caps on most of my guns. I get too many misfires. I've never had any problems at all with Remington so that's what I use almost exclusively now. On the other hand, you'll see just as many people who have no problems at all with CCI but have problems with Remington, etc.

I'm not sure what causes this. If it was a problem on a single gun, I'd suspect the way the cap fits the nipple, but a lot of us have those results with different guns and different brands of nipples. I'd suggest getting a can of every brand you can find and going shooting. If something isn't going to work for you, you'll know it soon enough. If none of them work well, then it's time to consider a different brand of nipple, or filing the nipple to fit the cap a bit better.

I've heard nothing but good about RWS caps but they're hard to find in some areas.

Being from Germany I use certainly the RWS caps. Here the other brands are hard to get.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I've used Remington caps exclusively for many years. Not one single misfire.

I got some CCI's real cheap recently and use them on my revolver. No complaints about them either.

HD

Good buy. Here are 4.00 to 6.00. And you can't just get them any old place. I have my homemade ones for back up. Dilly

RWS #1055 on rifles, & CCI on handguns. Had a few misfires with the CCI on a couple of rifles, but they work just fine on the pistols.
I'm still working through my supply of red-labeled/silver tin RWS, but the last batch of RWS caps I bought have a green label & red plastic 'tin' & are called #1055+.

I have used CCI, CVA, RSW, and Remington's. The only ones I had problems with were the Remington's. People I shoot with use Remington's with no problems so I would try them again. I buy what ever I can get and adjust. Mostly I use CCI.

Swamp Rat said:
German RWS caps were all I would ever use while hunting when I used a cap gun. :thumbsup:

Ditto. Best I've ever used and the only ones I ever recommend.

I have no problems with Reminton or CCI but prefer RWS, especially for hunting. IMHO Rws is less sensitive to moisture and misfires.

Dynamit Nobel #1075 is what I use. But seems I get a verity of brands at Christmas and Birthday.

For #11 caps it has always been CCI... tried a few of the other brands but always came back to the CCI's. For #10 caps though Remington has always worked best for me. Musket caps are Dynamit Nobel 1081's. Flints are English.

I have used CCI's for the most part. I bought a brick if Remingtons and traded them off before I shot up the first 100 . . . not because they didn't go off, but because they didn't fit in my Ted Cash capper. I think the Rem's I had were an anomoly, they were "taller" than the CCI's, probably a "one run" bad batch. Didn't have any problem with them going off. Have had very few misfires due to bad caps with CCI's - maybe 5 out of 15-20,000 hammer drops - so see no reason to change. YMMV . . .

Back