• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Barrel Co.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duca

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all. Would like to get some input on a Good barrel company. Going to have a rifle built and would like to get some of the hardware myself to keep cost down. I'm thinking Colerain. Any thoughts?

duca said:
Hi all. Would like to get some input on a Good barrel company. Going to have a rifle built and would like to get some of the hardware myself to keep cost down. I'm thinking Colerain. Any thoughts?

Haven't used a Colerain yet, but in almost 20 years of T/C, GM, and Rice barrels I've never had issues with any of them.
I have found that after trying my first Round Bottom groove barrel from Rice, for subsequent rifle builds I've also used Rice round bottom...and then stayed with Rice for a couple of smoothbore builds as my barrel maker of choice.
I've also had Ed Rayl rebore/re-rifle a GM square bottom .45cal barrel to a .50cal with Round Bottom grooves and his barrel work is also outstanding.

So while I've only had personal experience with 3 barrel makers for long guns, based on that I'd say you couldn't go wrong with a barrel carrying the name Rice, Rayl, or GM.

As mentioned, there are several good companies out there. Green Mountain is a large outfit that has grown through the years by meeting shooters needs. You can't go wrong. Check offerings and prices then make yer choice.

duca said:

I have built several rifles with Colerain barrels and they are good barrels, Green Mountain is on military contract, Rice is good and so is Getz.

They will all shoot better than you can, search out some builders and get their input if you can.

My two cents...
Write up what you want in detail and mail it to an individual. Wait two weeks and then call him to discuss it. Which individual? I've dealt with Ed Rayl and Bobby Hoyt. Both men have done me right.

Thanks for the input guys. Think I mite go with the Rice Barrel...44" 50.cal swamped square rifling

If you can find a Green Mountain (try Tip Curtis) and use that.
These are not made from cheap leaded screw stock and shoot extremely well.
Long Hammock is another place to look for a barrel made of better grade material.
McLemore uses 4150 GB quality but only does swamps when he gets enough orders. Great barrels, he uses a gain twist.

Dan

I've used Rice with great results an I have a Charles Burton ordered but of course have not shot it yet so the jury is still out on it. :thumbsup:

If I needed an in stock barrel first choice would be a Rice. The others will need to be ordered. Some shops run a couple months to 6 months behind; others, 6 months to 2 years behind.

Ive got a GM,a Dehaas and a rice and all shoot good. I'm currently building a rifle with a colrain and I don't have experience with them but I have heard that they shoot well to. I know that Rice WILL STAND BEHIND THERE BARRELS! I ordered a rifle from a manufacture that I won't name and had problems with it shooting consistantly. I finally sent the barrel back to rice to see if it was me or the barrel. Turns out the manufacturer either clamped the barrel to hard in the vise or hit it to hard with the hammer. Under each barrel lug there was a bad spot. Even though Liston didn't have anything to do with the barrel being messed up he spent 2 days lapping the bore and he didn't charge my anything,not even return shipping. I receieved the barrel back and have only got to shoot it once but I had a couple shots touching at 50yrds. Rice are good folks!! Dew

DEW said:
Even though Liston didn't have anything to do with the barrel being messed up he spent 2 days lapping the bore and he didn't charge my anything,not even return shipping.
Rice are good folks!! Dew
And that's the bottom line...real people, stellar character, excellent attitudes. Good word of mouth advertising like yours flows out and repeat business just keeps flooding their way.
Rice was recommended to me by a well established builder here, and all my dealings with Rice (LC and Jason) have been outstanding, as have all the barrels themselves.
Conversely, somebody's product 'A' might be better than somebody's product 'B'...but if product 'A's attitude makes him a jerk...well, the choice would be obvious

I just felt like I should put in a plug for them. I don't have anything against the other barrel makers cause they make good barrels to. But I wonder if they would have done what Rice did. He called the people who built it and told them what happened and then HE lapped it. I havn't talked to the builder and as long as its fixed I don't see a need to pusue it anymore. Although if I ever do business with them again we're probably going to have to have a talk first. But Rice went the extra mile for me and I have a barrel that is hand lapped by Liston. How cool is that..Dew

yup...all good barrels.....custom barrels may take 2 yr wait!...but they are worth it when you get them...handmade just feels better in a handmade rifle :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps a better question would be to ask you what are your intentions with the finished gun? Superior accuracy so that if you properly practice you will probably win most matches and give them a run-for-the-money at Friendship Indiana? A very authentic rifle, with hand-made or hand-rifled barrel? A lightweight gun for hunting with very good accuracy? The best accuracy for the least amount of money? Bragging rights on the components of the rifle?

As a previous post pointed out, Green Mountain, Colerain, Getz, Rice all produce barrels that many people cannot shoot to the full potential of the barrel..., many people.

There are some folks out there who can put a Rice barrel through it's paces, and so they should consider spending the money. Otherwise, it would be a Waste of Money (imho) for a person who is into plinking, and might hunt a few days out of the year, to invest in such a rifle barrel, when a Green Mountain would exceed their ability and needs.

I have rifles with GM and Colerain barrels, and they meet my needs both on targets and on game.

Analogy: You don't buy PGA certified clubs if you are a weekend golfer, you don't buy a vintage Shelby Cobra because you need a car to commute to work, you don't buy an Olympic target .22 rifle for squirrels, and so you may want to consider what you want the barrel to do for you before you decide you want to invest the money.

Some folks feel better with the best components that money can buy..., but in closing I'd say that it would serve you better to practice more with a less expensive barrel, than to buy the very best barrel in the world, but then not be able to afford a range membership.

"The Magic is in The Wizard, Not The Wand"
The Late James Funk - Gunsmith, NC

:hmm:

LD

Let me see. I have some GM barrels, a Rice, 2 Colerain, and a Getz or two. The Colerains tend to be not as "smooth" inside as a Getz or Rice but will slick up in a hundred shots or so. In my hands anyway, I can see no difference. Having said that, it depends on what you want to do. On the offhand line at Friendsip you will see very few swamped barrels. Those boys go for straight and heavy. Not to say the swamped barrels can't compete, but for what they do over there why pay more for a swamped barrel ? Now on the Primitive line you see a lot of swamped barrels. Why ? Because they are correct for what we do there. Plus they look so damned sexy. LOL. Truthfully I used to poo poo the extra cost of a swamped barrel until I held one. The hang of a swamped is so much nicer than a straight. Again, just depends on what you want.

I doubt that the late Col. Charles Askins was ever sober enough to have said such a thing. Anyway, the quote is from the Late Col. Townsend Whelen, a fine marksman, and considered the father of modern riflery.

Back