• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Way to carry extra caps quietly.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim gray

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, this started out as an idea to make a capper for a C&B revolver, but ended up being something else entirely.

I took about a two inch long piece of an old belt and using a leather punch, punched seven closely spaced holes along each edge of the belt. So what I have is a method of carrying spare caps quietly in the field. I don't know if this would be a useful item to anyone here. I don't normally hunt with a caplock, and at the range I don't really care if the caps rattle around in their tin.

I guess a capper would be a better way to carry extra caps, but since some guy named Murphy always seems to accompany me on hunting trips, I guess it wouldn't hurt to carry some spare caps other than what are in the capper, as well.

Excuse me if this is a dumb idea, but I thought of it after 12 hours at work and right now it seems like it may be useful. Tomorrow, I may wonder why I even posted it. :winking:

I use a leather capper. But after a while the slots become loose and you can lose the caps.I also have 10 caps inside the butt of my Hawken,under the butt plate. I had read about this being done ,so I did it also. The hole I drilled has 10 caps in it then is sealed with bees wax. Makes for a good emergency supply.

I have use one like you described for about 20 years. Spacing between holes is around 3/16" and the hole has a slit to the outer edge so once the cap is in place you pull the leather to the side and the cap stays on the nipple.

i keep 10 or so caps in a cap tin packed with several cleaning patches. the patches keep the caps from rattling. then i wrap the tin with a piece of electricial tape long enough to go around several times. i carry the tin in my pocket. a piece of the tape can be pulled off and used to keep water out of the barrel in bad weather. the tape will not obstruct the barrel.

CHeck out the containers department in your local crafts store. I found some small round wood boxes (about he same size as the metal cap cans). Waterproof with beeswax. Caps don't make sound rattling in them and they don't make sounds banging against other possiobles in my bag.

It's a great idea, but it's been around for a while. You may find that it works better for you if you make a slit from the hole to the edge of the leather, the caps release better that way. Also, try making one using a circular piece of leather, with a hole in the middle for a thong. wear it around your neck, and it's always handy.

flash_in_the_pan said:
I guess a capper would be a better way to carry extra caps, but since some guy named Murphy always seems to accompany me on hunting trips, I guess it wouldn't hurt to carry some spare caps other than what are in the capper, as well.

As for carring cap in the tins, there is an easy way to silence them, line the top and bottom of the tin with foam rubber (weather stripping) or use thick felt...

Easy to do, empty the caps from the can and use the can itself like a cookie cutter to get the exact size needed, press out two (one for base and the other for the lid) then glue in place...

Once the glue is dry, replace the caps in the tin... :thumbsup:

Greetings FlashinthePan and All,

I use a Ted Cash capper which is a copy of an original and is made in brass and German silver (my preferance).

Historically, this reproduction is very PC, not that I care about the PC issue; just like the looks of the capper. It is also very funtional, quiet, holds almost 100 caps, and is quick and easy to use.

A picture of original cappers can be found on page 65 of THE MUZZLE-LOADING CAP LOCK RIFLE by Ned H. Roberts.

Mr. Roberts writes on page 63........."but were not used with the earlier cap lock hunting rifles in use before 1837, as they had not been invented , or I can find no record of their earlier invention and use".

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

I just use a Ted Cash capper. I make sure it is full when I start. I have the oval model for my traditional rifles and a straight line model for my inline. I keep them in an inside pocket of my jacket (never against my body) and have done it this way for too long to remember.

I just throw a bunch of caps in a pocket I will not use for anything else and am done with it. I will normally carry twice the amount of caps that I have speed loads for. Some guns I use require using a capper but we don't talk about them here. I like cappers but for some reason (may be because I am a lefty) when I use them I put the cap on and then the one behind it flies to the ground :hmm:

I punched 6 holes in my rifle's sling. Great way to store extra caps in dry weather

hou5ton said:
cayugad said:
(never against my body)

Is that just for safety reasons ... concerned one might go off, or might they draw moisture from sweat?

Both actually. Then they are not against me should some strange even happen, and you do not sweat on them...

the inline capper is what I use to load/cap my cap and ball revoler all the time...

Its a good idea but would be even better if you stiched two pieces together. Punch the holes as you did on the botttom layer and have the flap sit on top to stop them poppin out then put a hole through both of them at the top and attach with a key ring and slip on you belt ot belt loop.
cheers
Rob

Back