• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Warning - Danger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stony

40 Cal.
Reaction score
While surfing the web last night I ran into a warning against using Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with Alcohol. According to the warning, there was an article in Muzzleloader (doesn't say which issue) about a Hydrogen Peroxide-Alcohol-oil soap (equal parts) mixture that exploded. Seems that Hydrogen Peroxide can act as an explosive, but is pretty weak as sold in stores. BUT mix in some highly flammable stuff and let is sit long enough ..... The web site in question is at[url] www.homestead.com/sdcml/[/url] (San Diego County Muzzle Loaders) I did a search for Hydrogen but I'm on AOL and I can't look at anything past the first page. If this has been discussed or debated, my apology, just thought it might be important.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no reason to use Peroxide in the first place. IMHO

And...

Hydrogen peroxide vapour can detonate above 70°C, so it is critical to keep solutions and vapour cool. Distillation of hydrogen peroxide at normal pressures is highly dangerous. Hydrogen peroxide vapours can form sensitive contact explosives with hydrocarbons such as greases. Hazardous reactions ranging from ignition to explosion have been reported with alcohols, ketones, carboxylic acids (particularly acetic acid), amines and phosphorus.

Hydrogen peroxide, if spilt on clothing (or other flammable materials) will preferentially evaporate water until the concentration reaches sufficient strength, then clothing will spontaneously ignite. Leather generally contains metal ions from the tanning process and will often catch fire quite quickly.

Hydrogen peroxide is a very effective oxidizing agent and was used in a highly concentrated solution (over 60% H2O2) to power V2 rockets during WWII. Would the extremely weak solution sold at the drugstore (~3%) react with either the alcohol (an excellent fuel) or oil soap and trigger spontaneous combustion? I doubt it, but hey, all the right chemicals are there in the brew.

Claude said:

I stop using Peroxide after I discovered dihydrogen monoxide isn't as flamable and does just as good.

:hmm: Basically the Drug store version of hydrogen peroxide is a 3% (aq) solution which decomposes fairly rapidly after the bottle has been opened. The 96% concentrations are much more hazardous and is a excellent oxidizing agent, you don't want to even think about messing around with this---if you can get it? :thumbsup:

In the past I mixed in equal parts, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol and Murphys Soap. It was recommended in Muzzle Blast many years ago.
I probably have used the mixture since the mid 80s or so and it does a fine job of cleaning and never had a problem with it.

Last year I mixed up a new batch and put in the spray bottle for Murphys Soap. Some time later I noticed liquid on the shelf. The mixture had over pressured the bottle and pushed the liquid out the spay nozzle. After it did it the second time, I decided that this was not a good thing to do.

Lesson learned it that there can be a chemical reaction from the hydogen peroxide that can lead to a pressure build up.

RDE

Another issue is that manfacturers can change their formulas whenever they think they can save a penney, so what you're mixing the peroxide with is not necessarily the same stuff that it used to be. Murphy never sleeps. Stuff happens.

The early MeBf 163A Komets were powered by hydrogen peroxide.But the later MeBf163B used a hydrazine hydrate and menthanol fuel combination.very dangerous stuff! I'll take your word for the Vergeltungswaffe-1.Nontheless,Claude is quite right.Best regards,J.A.

I believe that the explosives used in the London tube bombings were made using peroxide. Very unstable explosives. Even the Palestinians are wary of using it. Forgot the clever name they had for it. Something like "Mother-in-law to the Devil" :)

GC

Slowpoke said:
Claude said:

I stop using Peroxide after I discovered dihydrogen monoxide isn't as flamable and does just as good.
Yep, water will work just as well and isn't flamable. :thumbsup:

IIRC, the old MB article involved a man who stored his mix of MOS, alcohol and peroxide in a glass jar. He left it in his truck and it burst the jar making a mess.

I heard about this during the NMLRA instructor training.

I just use MOS and rubbing alcohol. Work every bit as well and has no risk. They were suggesting watered down Simple Green.

CS

CS

I don't understand why people mess with any of those weird concoctions. Some people seem to think that the more complicated you can make it the better it must be. Soap and water has always worked so well for me that I've never seen any need nor any room for improvement. You can only get a thing just so clean, what can those chemical cocktails do that water doesn't do just as well?

Back