• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wano[grafs] velocity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jan buck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hey all,
i chrono'd some wano yesterday. heres what i got.
ff 70-1387
ff 80-1525
ff 90-1679

fff 80-1577
fff 90-1691
will do more testing later, but it gave me a good idea. used the last of my 777 and this what i got with it.
777/ff
70-1606
80-1858
90-1921
shots were fired in a tc hawken with a 178.5 gr round ball,.012 patch lubed with the ballistol/6/1
dry patch.#11 win cap.

I always like to see data like that. Do you think it would be interesting to see how patch thickness affects velocity? A .012 is kinda thin and I'd be curious to see if a tighter seal with .015 and .018 patches would affect the outcome.

Interesting results.

I have some T7 that was abandoned in disgust on the bench by a new in liner. :haha: Am planning on comparing it with some Swiss. I'm betting on the Swiss being a near match to the T7

In the 1980 issue of The Gun Digest, there is an article by Ed Yard entitled "The Patched Round Ball and Why They Used it". The article includes a brief chart with results from the use of patches of various thicknesses along with a variety of lubes. Even if your chronograph doesn't necessarily agree with his figures, the trend is unmistakable. It is definitely worth reading.

i scored a 3x12' piece of pillow ticking at goodwill the other day for 4.99. i put a micrometer to it and got .012. my hawken likes fff with that patch and a home cast ball. surprisingly the wano cleans up just as easy as 777. can't believe i shot pyrodex all those years, got to be the dirtiest manure out there.

chopper said:
surprisingly the wano cleans up just as easy as 777. can't believe i shot pyrodex all those years, got to be the dirtiest manure out there.

We keep trying to tell that to the Pyrodex crowd, but they keep insisting that it burns cleaner. :shake:

I was surprised that 777 generated that much extra velocity. I haven't used it a lot and I never got around to chronoing it, but it didn't seem to be that much hotter.

here's what i got with AP[american pioneer]
70-1118
80-1227
90-1370
100-1548
what a joke. thank God its gone.

well, since you are all talking chrono....

goex 3f (ten shot test strings)

cabelas hawken 50 cal 70 gr. 1500 fps

lyman plains pistol 50 cal 35gr 1140 fps

my question. Does the pistol data seem correct? thats really good velocity for 35 grains of powder. My chrono is set up about ten feet in front of the muzzle. thanks,

mothernatureson

i think the goex has more snap than wano. can't attest to the pistol- never fired one. but would like to have one some day.

You should chrono KIK I've found it's pretty hot stuff, and shoots cleaner than most powder to boot. Once I get my new virginia rifle properly sighted I'll chrono it. Don't want to test it's durabilty out with a .58 ball.

Back