• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walker for Christmas!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rikeman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was totally shocked when today my father in-law gave me a Colt Walker! Wow! :thumbsup: These things are huge! It is a Uberti and I know there has been talk that they are not quite the quality of the Pedersoli, but this thing really has a nice feel to it. The action is quite smooth.

I have both pirodex and 777 to shoot through it. The recomended loads for this thing is only 22-30 grains? that is what the generic manual says, but it is generic for all the colt and remington models. I was under the impression the walker was capable of much higher loads safely. Maybe 50-60 grains?

Anyway, I cant wait to get this to the range!

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Walker Colt. The Uberti is as good as they come these days. Didn't know Pedersoli made a Walker. I use 55 grains of FFFg under a .454 ball. If the .454 doesn't shave a nice little ring of lead when you seat it, you'll have to go to a .457. A dab of crisco over the ball will serve as lube and be sure to put a heavy dollop of lube on the cylinder arbor before you slide the cylinder into place. This will keep it turning nicely. In warmer weather you'll need a stiffer lube--a beeswax and tallow mix works well.Be sure the caps are seated firmly on the cones to prevent a chain fire. Some like to use a wad under the ball in the belief that this prevents chainfires, but a good tight fitting ball will do as well. Others like to use very light loads and make up the difference with Cream of Wheat or some such. Just be sure that the ball is firmly seated on whatever load you choose to eliminate the chance of detonation. My Walkers seem to like the above load just fine. Have fun.

THanks for the info. Maybe I am out to lunch on Pedersoli making a Walker and it was another brand....

I am looking forward to working out a good load for my gun. Are you using the crisco to lube the arbor? Up until very recently I have only shot modern guns and used gun oil (big believer in less is more where modern guns are conserned)I understand that only natural lubes should be used with BP guns, but still trying to figure out what is simple and effective. Crisco sure sounds simple!

All in a little over a month I have gone from not knowing anything about black powder to owning a kentucky pistol, Hawken rifle and now the Walker. I am lovin life right now and have a ton to keep me busy giving these guns a workout!

Crisco will work until you can make up a stiffer lube. I use equal parts beeswax and salt free tallow melted together in an old pot. Then I add olive oil until the mixture is soft enough to spread fairly easily on the arbor. But I like it to be stiff enough to resist the blast from the cylinder/barrel gap as much as possible. This keeps the cylinder rotating freely and is easier on the innards. My Uberti is an old one with a lot of rounds through it and it is as tight as a new one and all the small parts are original. These Walkers are robust guns and are accurate, too. They tend to shoot high at normal revolver ranges of 25 yards or so as they were intended as Dragoon weapons and I have found that my guns are on target at 75 yards and easy to hit with at a 100 yards. In many ways a Walker is the most useful C&B revolver of all.

You may have been thinking of Pietta. They make cap and ball pistols also. The quality is a little below Uberti.
Uberti is the gold standard for Italian western revolvers.
If Pedersoli offered a revolver it would most likely be made by Uberti.

On the cylinder pin, Ive used axle grease with good results.
This was as a lube for the pin only. Do not use the axle grease in the cylinder or barrel.

Congratulations!!
Those big old wheel guns are a riot to shoot. I've had pretty good luck with axle grease for the cylinder pin, as well. I have settled on SPG lube mixed with about 25% beeswax to seal the chambers. It keeps the fouling soft, but wont blow out of the adjoining chambers. Have a ball!!
TomW

The only current manufacturer of the Walker is Uberti.

Palmetto and Euroarms both recently made Walkers but I've not found any new ones at retail for quite some time; they may have discontinued them.

Palmetto's reputation was not good but the Euroarms was well thought of. Uberti was still considered better, however.

The only one I'm aware of that made a better Walker was, of course, Colt themselves in their 1960's reprisal of the cap and ball revolvers. I think the Walker was only made as a part of the Third Generation (Signature Series) production.

My Walker is a Uberti; I have handled but not shot one of the Signature Series Walkers and it was gorgeous. I do own both a Uberti Dragoon and a Signature Series Dragoon, and although the Uberti is a fine gun, the Colt is clearly better fit and finish.

I got one of these for Christmas too... :grin:
Made a hoster for it yesterday and can't wait to try it out.

I own two Walkers currently, one by Uberti. Walkers are fun to shoot and they can be safely fired with a full charge, I would caution against using 777 in them since that is a hotter powder than Pyrodex. I tend to shoot mine with RS Pyrodex for the most part.

Think you mean that Colt put their name to the second series of C&B revolvers. These were made by Uberti but assembled by Colt, and serial numbers carried on from the original sequence, but without the Company designator letter.

I have serial number 1816, and one poster here, maybe Claude, has an even lower number.

I shoot mine with 45gr of FFg under a round ball, and it's VERY smooth and accurate.

tac

Howdy!

Enjoy that Walker! Someone on the forum once said a good time with a Walker is in a junk yard full of refrigerators. I haven't found the fridge junkyard yet, but they are fun at the range as well.

James

I think you are right. I have been reading a lot on the forums and am mixing up who makes what! :youcrazy:

In any case I am glad to hear that Uberti seems to have a great reputation. I am going to be putting a lot of rounds through this baby!

It is quite cold here in Oregon and will be for the next few months, so I think I will go with the crisco for now and look in to a nice mixture for the warmer weather. I am mostly a target shooter with only the rare hunting trip so I am looking forward to seeing what type of distance accuracy I can get out of this thing.

Would be cool to go out and plug a few rabbits with this thing.

Congrats to you as well! I would very much like to see a picture of the holster you made. I was thinking about doing the same thing myself. I am planning on taking my hawken out next year for muzzle loading season and would love to be able to carry the walker with me.

The only think I have used is the 777. That was on the advice of a less than knowledgable store clerk (seems rare to find anyone that knows much about black powder in the retail gun stores).

I only have ffg left and will shoot that up in my hawken. I got 2 lbs of pyrodex for Christmas so I am really looking forward to shooting that. I get my powder at Sportsmans warehouse and the 777 goes for $20 a lb and pyrodex $10 a lb, so that is another great reason to use pyrodex.

Pyrodex can still be cleaned up with just soap and water correct?

Cold here in Oregon? Where ya located? It is WET here on the west side although we do have a dusting of snow right now.
I use Pyrodex P in all my BP revolvers. Works just fine. Never have tried the 777, but hear you need to back off on the loads with it. Congrats on the Walker. :thumbsup:

Up in the hills of Salem, we have a nice dusting of snow as well and its all frozen. I just figure we have a few months of 50 deg or less of high temps.....cold enough for me!

Back