• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Virginia ( I think )

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wattlebuster

69 Cal.
Reaction score
First my hats off to you guys who build for a living :hatsoff: You dont get paid enough. I wanted a 40 cal an being Im always broke I had to build it myself. I want a virginia/early virginia style an chose all the components myself so some of it probably wrong but I like it anyway so here she is. The stock is from Pecatonica. I told them as plain of maple as they had. I just wanted the barrel and ramrod inlet an let me do the rest.Turns out it has some curl but not much Id say 20% at the most.I put a 1/4 inch castoff and lop is 13 an 1/2 inch. The barrel is a Rice 38 inch 40 cal with 1 in 56 twist round bottom groove that I've coned like all my other rifles.The lock is a Chambers round faced english built by mr LC Rice himself an its smooth as deer guts on a door knob. The buttplate is from Curt Lyles. The patchbox and trigger is from Randy Heil of the other TVM. The triggerguard, ramrod pipes, nosecap, and rear sight are from track of the wolf. The sideplate is of my own making as is the the patchbox release of my own design. Crude but it works good. I cant engrave so I had Smitty from Oklahoma put my name in the barrel an I name all my guns so the rifles name is in the sideplate. I made my front sight from a 1962 silver quarter since thats the year I was born. I mixed a couple different stains to get the dark I was looking for an its got 15 coates of tru oil buffed with 0000 steel wool. Im gonna let it age on its own but to knock the bright shine off I helped it along with some mustard and the brass with some powder fouling. I made lots of mistakes such as I know the triggerguard is back a tad too far but it is now what it is. She's a plain gun an that was what I was after. I hope to get to shoot her saturday an work on some loads so I let ya know what she likes an how she shoots as soon as I know. I hope ya like :thumbsup:
BabySister40calvirginia001.jpg

BabySister40calvirginia003.jpg

BabySister40calvirginia004.jpg

BabySister40calvirginia005.jpg

BabySister40calvirginia006.jpg

BabySister40calvirginia015.jpg

BabySister40calvirginia018.jpg

BabySister40calvirginia013.jpg

Absolutely beautiful...your lead-in description did not prepare me for / do justice to the photos...quite a terrific accomplishment I'd say !!

:hatsoff:

What happened with the trigger guard Allen? Other than that, looks likes you did a good job. Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

I think a brain freeze :idunno: or maybe workin on it when I should have been doin somthing else :shake: . I got it back too far bout a 1/4 inch. Just one of those time I was'nt payin attn. too late now cause it inlet fairly deep on front an back fenials. Its tracks virginia an I like how slim it is though so I'll live with it :redface:

Oh, I'd be proud to have built that! :hatsoff: Was this your first build?

Nice job!

You'll always have that pride of carrying and hunting with a gun that you built.

I recognize a few sins that I'm guilty of myself.

Maybe could of tightened up the lock panels a bit. I would have done at least a rough polish on the lock. The trigger guard . . . but hey, you built yourself! A very nice gun.

Happy hunting!

Another note - I've only bought a few pieces of wood from Pecatonica, but they always exceed the grade you ordered. That's a pretty nice "plainest piece you got" there.

Greg

Trench I've built 3 Haines kits from Chambers. 1 from caywood an a flintlock pistol from a blank

I really like that Sir! I also like the pictures, makes ya want to be there and just pick it up and go shoot!
Macon

Beautiful! I have a "super premium stock" from a maker who gets a lot of praise on this forum that doesn't have as much curl as that one.
You done good.
Deadeye

Thanks everyone. Well I shot it quiet a bit this mornin. Started with 20 grs of fffg an kinda worked up to 40 grs. Zero recoil with very fast ignition. I think this lock is gonna be easy on the flints too. I did'nt get to swap around on different patch thickness or lubes but I think its gonna like 30 grs pretty well. Im shooting 018 pillowtick patches lubed with wonderlube. I dont swab between shots but did wipe the pan after every shot cause if you dont with our 90% humidity the pan powder turns to soup. Its amazing, you can actually watch it suck up the moisture out of the air. I plan on doing lots more load testing in the next few days an will get yall some pics of the groups if I can get my camera back from my daughter. Fired 27 rds this morning with no misfires and the same flint though it is gonna get a good sharpening when I clean it up this evening

Your gonna love that 40!...
Sure looks like more than 20% curl to me! :thumbsup:
Congrats..Hats off to the builder!

Wattle,
That is one purty rifle and one to certainly be proud of. The wood is a fantastic piece and gorgeous too boot.
Lovely job Sir, just lovely.

Cheers, DonK

Back