• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Video- A cure for cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duelist1954

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A common problem with replica Colt cap & ball revolvers is their tendency for the hammer to pull spent caps off of the nipples and to drop them into the action, causing a cap jam. I call this condition "Cap Sucking."

There have been a number of modifications developed by modern shooters to prevent this situation. Most of them involve drilling holes and installing pins, welding on cap guards, or installing expensive, after-market nipples.

I think I have found a simpler solution that just involves a little de-burring and stoning.

https://videos.full30.com/bitmotiv.../acf736abcacc35be89d41d581d945f98/854x480.mp4

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that a little pinch to the cap before putting it on the nipple works. You can even use an in-line capper, when using this method.

Thanks as always Mike! I shoot cowboy action with my 1860s a little and had that happen more than once.. or twice. :) I changed the nipples to Slix and filled in the slot with JB weld but that stuff chips out every once in a while. This looks like it will fix the slot and not have to keep filling the slot.

Bottom line: As you point out, this was not a problem with Original Colt revolvers, which were made for the battlefield, and for defending your Life. The current Italian makers produce "toys" for grownups to use at the Range (and, to meet a price).

Perhaps Uberti and Pietta will pick up on your video, and put a small additional effort into the finishing of their Colt repros. At least now, we know how to fix the problem.

Thanks for sharing this, Mike. :hatsoff:

Richard/Grumpa

Hi Duellist:

Thanks for your vid, and really all your vids and efforts on behalf of BP shooters. Admittedly, I'm new to BP shooting, but I recently got an 1851 Colt London Steel revolver with (I think) a 4 inch barrel, and, at your recommendation, put some Slix Shot nipples on it without actually trying the nipples that came on it. Danged if the caps I was using (Remingtons maybe, I forget) didn't almost all fall off and into the action of the gun, despite my using the expensive Slix Shots. There was no "cap sucking" as near as I could tell. The issue seemed to be that the caps were split open in several places around the edges, and they just fell off the nipples when I tryed to cock the gun for the next shot. It was a real nuisance. I've now removed the Slix Shots and will try the standard nipples to see if they work any better. My admittedly novice take on the issue is that it's much more complicated than just a stoning issue. It seems to me to involve a number of factors--the power of the cap itself, the BP load used in the gun (I'm using Triple 7 in my 1851), perhaps the little side vent holes drilled in the Slix Shot nipples, and perhaps even the brand and configuration of the caps themselves. There may be other factors also, of course. I'm happy that stoning your gun helped prevent caps from jamming your action, but perhaps one reason cap jams didn't seem to be mentioned as much in the "old days" was because the caps themselves were lower powered, or the nipples had smaller openings or less side venting, or there was less blow-back from the BP charge (as well as other factors, of course), or the caps fit tighter, etc etc. It seems that saying it's just a problem with sharp edges or burrs on the hammer could be an over-simplification.

Thank you; I enjoyed the video and explanation of the problem/solution. And....over three people have seen it :wink: ; even in the Media Subforum!!

Back