• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

using muzzle loaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My appreciation for the pace of shooting with traditional muzzle loaders, I believe, goes back to my first days as a professional photographer. Not as strange as that might sound. At age 13 I was writing sports for the local newspaper. One day the editor stuck a big ole Speed Graphic in my hands, gave me two minutes of instruction and a bag full of 4x5" film slides. I had to go photograph a track meet, that I was also competing in, for the next days edition. I learned quickly to make every shot count. I had to discipline myself to capture that important "slice of time". Same with guns, I like the challenge of making every shot count. Even if offered, I would decline the opportunity to shoot a full-auto firearm. Not because I am 'anti' anything, I just don't see the joy. Now, hand me a well made or original ml rifle and you will see the joy for that one shot opportunity. :)

Its like saddling your horse to go visit the neighbours, cooking a nice meal on the wood stove, smoking a pipe in front of the open fire enjoying a good single malt. Writing a letter with pen and ink, shaving with a straight!! you can pick the really nice things from the old days, and there were no good old days when you really look at it. Muzzle loading guns, is where art meets science, you have to develop a feel. If you get a good flintlock long rifle, you will never go back to one of those newfangled brass manglers !! Like I used to say, 35 miles an hour was a sh'''t load of fun in my 1921 Dodge Bros buckboard !!

Enjoy the ride

Cheers
Heeler

I'm a hunter so when I start a shooting session I try to do everything methodically as I would preparing for a first shot, which when hunting that is about all you will get.
Where that ball hits with a clean bore isn't going to be quite as exact with followup shots as it was when you first started.
It's probably more of a mental thing with me, but that is how I practice.....One shot, one kill.
When the followup shots hit in the exact spot, it just builds my confidence even more.

Rifleman1776,

I love that comparison with muzzleloaders and film photography, especially large and medium format. It is so appropriate. When you can't blow off several frames per second, every shot, firearm or camera, requires careful preparation, focus, a steady hold and follow through. That care and attention leads to more satisfaction with your results. I would extend the analogy by equating film developing and printing with making your own ML accessories. :thumbsup:

Haven't done any real photography in a while. I should check out the Speed Graphic and Minolta TLR and the film for both sitting in the freezer. So many hobbies, so little time!

I'm really enjoying this thread.

Jeff

I would extend the analogy by equating film developing and printing with making your own ML accessories.

Excellent comparison. About the only creative talents I ever had were performed in the dark room. And, ties in with my 'do yer own thang' and 'do it yerself' philosophies.

M.D. said:
What is surprising to me is how many folks actually have a muzzle loader or two in the back of their safes and never shoot them!
I'm not sure I could actually tag a reason for loving front stuffers, I just do and have been shooting them since I was a teenager.

You just described my gun safe. Except in reverse... :grin:

Gee, next thing you know, you'll be casting your owns balls. THAT it will take your ML adventure to a whole 'nuther level of satisfaction. Well, it did for me, anyhow.

Welcome to the gang of front-stuffers.

I very much like the analogy. Haven't been in a darkroom in many years (I've embraced digital) or held my old Leica M3 in a very long time.
Miss those days sometimes, but ... time marches on.
Some things, however, never change ... thank you black powder and my 3 MLs.

SgtMaj said:
I very much like the analogy. Haven't been in a darkroom in many years (I've embraced digital) or held my old Leica M3 in a very long time.
Miss those days sometimes, but ... time marches on.
Some things, however, never change ... thank you black powder and my 3 MLs.

Oh yeah. We have a large commercial darkroom with 4x5 and 5x7 enlargers, both the very latest digitally controlled versions from the last gasp of film. Now it's a fallow storage room for studio and field 4x5's and a couple of 5x7's and a raft of lenses. Never mind all the 35mm, 120 and 220 film bodies and lenses and a refer full of film. We were commercial photographers when digital caught up with us and forced us to switch, and in less than a year the darkroom went to bed.

The good news is that all the modern guns have been in the safes gathering dust for about 10 years while the muzzleloaders have been busy.

BrownBear said:
~Snip~
The good news is that all the modern guns have been in the safes gathering dust for about 10 years while the muzzleloaders have been busy.

Funny how that tends to happen when the beauty of the ML bites you; isnt it? :thumbsup:

Another thing I've found about ML shooting is that I'm much, much more accurate with them than I am modern cartridge arms. The 15-round 9mm Glock and Walther I own lend themselves to being less accurate and burning powder at a much faster rate ”” much shorter barrels being the obvious limitation. Of course, they are designed primarily for close range defense and not the leisurely firing and the longer range accuracy of my GPR and my Renegade. Apples and oranges. I enjoy shooting them all, I just enjoy my MLs and black powder a bunch more!

Muska,
I would take that these old geezers say with a grain of salt!
Stick with us younger crowd and shoot a lot.
Get your powder by the keg and flint or caps by the box full, so you don't run out.
Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more, when you cross over, you can't take your gun with you.
All the best!
Fred

Back