• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using a Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a note... it is wise not to use spit patches when hunting: the saliva tends to rust the barrel. There are numerous old barrels with rust rings inside them - caused by hunting with spit patches.

It is also a good precaution to carry one's horn on one's side furthest from the flintlock - if you're right-handed, on your left side, and vice versa.

I use a big horn that can easily hold a pound of ffg powder. In addition, I have never used a finer priming powder - thus, no need for a priming horn/flask.

"it is wise not to use spit patches when hunting:"

You are absolutely correct. I do many more woods walks than I do hunting so spit works fine for those cases. But, when I am hunting, I prefer to use Ballistol as my patch lube. I also use Bore Butter in some of my rifles. Spit is my lube of choice for when I am going to fire my gun right away such as on woods walks or when shooting paper targets. It's great stuff but it has its limits.

Also spit would dry out doing nothing as a lube and throwing your shot off. How much? Only trying would tell but I'm not going to try just to find out as it would basically be pointless since it isn't a good thing to do anyway.

Flintlock Fanatic said:
Just a note... it is wise not to use spit patches when hunting: the saliva tends to rust the barrel. There are numerous old barrels with rust rings inside them - caused by hunting with spit patches.

It is also a good precaution to carry one's horn on one's side furthest from the flintlock - if you're right-handed, on your left side, and vice versa.

I use a big horn that can easily hold a pound of ffg powder. In addition, I have never used a finer priming powder - thus, no need for a priming horn/flask.

I am a right hand shooter. My horn is on my right side. When I shoulder my rifle the horn is on my right side and my body is between the horn and the lock. If I have my horn on my left, I find the horn under the lock when I shoulder the gun. That's not the position I want my horn to be. There's a reason that the cartridge box for military use is on the right.

I meant to post a picture to illustrate my point. The shooter's horn is behind the rifle and protected from the flash.

Battle1.jpg

If the horn was on the shooter's left, it would be directly under the pan.

I was at a rendezvous once where a shooter had forgotten to plug his horn and some powder was spilled on the firing line. The next shooter to the line had a flintlock. He had a good flash in the pan and almost as quickly the other sparks ignited the powder on the ground. No one was hurt, but it really gave us something to think about when we are warned that powder is spilled on the ground.

I was just repeating what I had read in an article a while back - seemed like good advice, and I've been doing it ever since.

Hmm - I can see how wearing a horn/cartridge box on one's left side would be hazardous when standing in rank with other shooters next to you.

From the photo it seems as if the horn/pouch is hanging pretty low and sort of behind the shooter - what if one wears it up against one's ribs, under your arm? Just wondering if, when worn in that manner, it wouldn't safer when worn on the left side (for a right-handed shooter)when hunting, or doing anything else besides standing next to other shooters? Please forgive me for asking - I'm just curious :wink: ...

Many thanks!

When the horn is high on the right and against the ribs, it is back of the lock with still some protection from the flash.

On the left, the high against the ribs brings the horn closer to the flash. There is some obstruction due to body position if the horn is pushed to the back. Needless to say, in a military line of right hand shooters, a left side carry puts the powder horn close to the flash. An individual who always plugs the horn is probably safe from setting off the powder horn.

I'll carry my powder horn on the right hand side.

It really doesn't matter which side you carry your horn, as long as you keep in away from the flash pan and ABOVE ALL HAVE STOPPER IN PLACE!....That is the reason that I rarely provide a stopper landyard or other cord attached to one of my powder horns. If a person has to hold the stopper when loading or priming in their fingers or teeth. They automatically know that they have to replace that stopper. With a string or cord attached to the stopper. In a hurry to reload can end with a stopper just tangling from your opened horn and disaster is ready to strike.

That's why I went to the spring loaded valve -- I have a tendency to lose anything that isn't firmly attached.

Carry a day horn afield. Holds about a 2-cups of powder. Also use cut pre-measured brass chargers for measuring my rifle powder. No sliding measure'r do I bother to carry around while in the field. BTW: I actually carry two brass chargers on a rawhide lace hung around my neck. One is for my 45 Hawken the other is for my 54 Hawken. Easyier to find something to measure with when hung on around one's neck. Having to dig thru a shoulder bag to accommodate the need can be bothersome to say the least.

All my horns have a spring loaded brass valve instead of a stopper. I don't like surprises.

Back