• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

*UPDATE* Traditions Deerhunter - Brown residue in the barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy everyone! Thank you all for the feedback last time! Much appreciated!

Per ya'll advice, I went ahead and gave my new Traditions Deerhunter a swabbing before I use her for the first time this weekend.

Interestingly enough, I found a large amount of brown residue in the barrel!

20240117_091112.jpg
20240117_092311.jpg
20240117_091229.jpg

Was this grease to protect the barrel on the shelf?

Either way I swabbed it down and oiled it! Ready for use!

Per ya'll advice, I went ahead and gave my new Traditions Deerhunter a swabbing before I use her for the first time this weekend.

View attachment 286338View attachment 286339View attachment 286340

My traditions Crockett rifle had the same thing in it when it was new. Also, others have posted about this. I do not know what it is but it didn’t seem to hurt mine one bit.

One of the curious attributes of some rust inhibiting lubricants is that over a period of time, the residue when being cleaned comes out brown and is the same color as rust. Good job on getting that all cleaned out and as @Banjoman states be sure to get your protective lubricant removed before going to the range. Good luck with your new Deerhunter.

Do look over your lock for rubbing against adjacent surfaces and sharp edges or burrs. Be sure to provide clearance between rubbing parts and apply a little bit of grease to the parts that rub together and oil those parts that rotate. Adjust your flint for proper clearance in the lock to frizzen face. Check for sparks and you should be good to go to the range.

As I stated in another post, I use jojoba oil after cleaning. I just wet a patch with it and run it in there a few times, maybe rewet the patch and go again. After 3 months a dry, clean patch came out looking just like your picture. IDK, but I think the oil turned brown, not rust. Rifle shoots fine. If I really knew anything, I probably would be out shooting instead of on this forum, but that's my 2 cents. The Traditions Deerhunter is my only BP gun.

I have used Bore Butter for 25+years. After cleaning the gun I'll put BB on a cleaning patch, swabbing it several times and leave the patch on the rod in the gun. Next time I pull it out it will look like that. I just get a clean patch, swabbing a few times then reload and shoot. Have put a light down the barrel and never seen any rust. I wipe the out side of the gun with BB never had it turn brown.

Do the warm water cleaning first, then dry bore, then use Hoppe's 9 bore cleaner for normal firearms until they come out clean. Dry the bore and then oil or I use balistol. That brown stain is bore protectant and is difficult to get out. Your accuracy will be manure until it's gone. If you ever shoot conical bullets scrub the lead out or it will be dragging on your patch when you shoot patch and ball.

Looks like rust to me, make sure and lube the bore after cleaning
I get the same thing in all my MLs the only thing that has ever touched the inside of my barrels is WonderLube after a scrub with hot water .I think the brown in stuff is wonder lube that has oxidized between cleanings does no harm to rifle barrels that I can detect

Back