• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Update on Lyman 1851 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philo426

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Update on my earlier post:The spring and roller pin arrived from Dixie Gun Works last week and I installed the new parts today.First Problem:The spring from Dixie was different from the Lyman spring(The Dixie spring had a groove for the hammer roller that the Lyman spring did not.The hammer fall was weaker than the original Lyman spring!So I took off the Dixie spring and re-installed the Lyman spring along with the new Dixie hammer roller pin.I noticed that the old slightly bent roller pin was only a piece of wire and not a correctly hardened roller pin!Guess what?The revolver works perfectly now and did not need a new main spring!Oh well, live and learn ,at least the Dixie main spring only cost 3 bucks!The two springs differed in design and I suspect that the Lyman Revolver may have been produced by Uberti or some other Italian maker and not Pietta.

OK The problem has been solved!The nipples I ordered from VTI were too short so I tried an experiment:I backed out the nipples a few threads and tried to fire the caps.The result was perfect ignition!So the nipples were a tad too short!So I thought that a metal spacer would solve the problem for good!I took an old bike chain and took out the round links!They would not fit so I had to cut a slot in them with my Dremel and spread them apart slightly.After all six were mounted up I capped them and gave it a try!Everey one fired!Problem solved!

Thanks Rebel!This Navy has been giving me fits!I am almost sure that the previous owner used mixed parts when making up this revolver!I got it for a good price(Now I know why!)The gun (Or at least the parts!)are in great condition and the nickle-plated square-back triggerguard and color case hardening are choice!I can't wait to take her out and shoot her!

My Navy and Army is made by ASM or Euroarms it is stamped DGG in a circle. Look at bottom of the barrel where barrel and frame meet near the S/N. I had to look up the carouche and cross reference it. Parts I got from Dixie to have as spares didn't fit, they were told that ASM/Euroarms was the manufacturer. A Lyman rep told me that there were several different Italian makers.

Boy am i glad to hear that EuroArms is ASP and not ASM. I have a EuroArms .58 Remington and so far it seems like a pretty good gun. Can't say the same for the ASM's i have been unfortuate enough to buy.

My bad, typing one thing and thinking another. I too have had no luck with ASM, was thinking glad he doesn't have an ASM revolver.

Here's a site for ASP, Euroarms, and parts.
S&S Firearms...the catalog is a .pdf download, address is listed.[url] http://www.ssfirearms.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,just got back from the range and can report complete sucess!I had a few bad caps but she ignited the caps as long as the caps were ok!Accuracy was ok for plinking,but I still have to work up a target load.The barrel is marked Pietta but I don't see and proof marks on the frame.I will carefully inspect the cylinder and frame for proof marks with my mini-Maglite and report back.

Back