• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

unfinished barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoeless

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that I have settled the price on my Pedersoli 1777 Charleville I have a question. What is the best or easiest way of removing nicks in an unfinished barrel.Steel wool,sand paper or polishing? Thanks in advance.....

Depends on the depth of the nicks. Sometimes it's better to just leave them alone.....file the raised steel surrounding the nick and finish w/ grit paper. If the dents are fairly deep, I'd draw file them...start filing a ways from the dent so you can blend them it. If they're shallow, use various grades of grit paper and use it like you're shining shoes....Fred

They are pretty light/shallow and I considered leaving them alone but if there was an easy fix I would attemp it....

Nicks in a barrel are patina. Leave them alone. You will add more nicks and scrapes as you use the gun.

Many Klatch

Back