• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Taylor

45 Cal.
Reaction score
While I try to get some work done on underhammers this guy is always ahead of me. underhammer
I have plans for 2 more in the works but have not finished the last 2.

Have you seen the pistol plans in this month's "Backwoodsman" magazine? I am giving them a try whenever I finish my latest project. They would convert nicely to a rifle, too. An under hammer without the conventional "hammer". :thumbsup:

John,
Thanks for the tip on the underhammer site, he really does do a great job. I also shoot underhammers, mostly Deer Creek or H&A's but I have an older Cecil Brookes underhammer chunk gun that is a real work of art. I don't know how to post pics but if you want I can send them to you.
Mark

Or I can send ya the story and pic with my ck in the mornning, its a double action with the trigger/hammer as one part, very easy (1/2 day with just toools around the house). Im wondering "IF" the brass idea I kicked over with you was maybe to soft a metal, not for a 36 I'm sure. For any of you new guys John has turnned a lot of underhammer ideas to the real thing for us, great work, great rates. Fred :hatsoff:

mark, when my son and i met you, thanks for letting us bask in the glow of the Cecil Brooks underhammer. what a work of art. :bow: :bow: i was afraid to touch it! the world lost a true artist when Mr. Brooks left. :(

Dave,
Glad you enjoyed the visit, and the Brooks. Will send you some pics if you send me your email. Like a lot of things, I misplaced it.
Mark :)

i also have the copy of the backwoodsman, the title caught my eye, altho not realy a caplock fan i did enjoy this article and bought it. this type of gun was also displayed in a book called Gun- a visual history, by DK publishing, on page 42. the gun made by joseph rock cooper displayes a lock identical to the one in the magizene. eathier way a great designe.. so simple.

In Ned Roberts book, "The Caplock rifle" there is a plan for an under hammer action that can be used with a full stock. Has anyone ever given this one any thought, or actually tried it?

John: Mr. Renner sure has an eye for beautiful lines doesn't he?
Kansas: You must be referring to the Dr. Gorning lock on Page 290 of Ned's book. It would sure be an elegant thing, even if there are simpler designs out there.
Guys, which Backwoodsman issue are you referring to?
Bill

Page 15 of May June 2007. And yes the one in NEd's book was a drawing of one built,as far as full stocks go weve had guys on here that have shown and sold them here about 2-3 yrs back. The 2 I've played with one was weaker at the wrist/lock part than any other perc rifle the other much stronger. It's not hard to do just weld your tang to the barrel,inlet the stock same as you would for any other rifle but do the lock part on the bottom (you dont have to make a bigger slot than any other rifle for the trigger/hammer.) Fred :hatsoff:

Hi all. I've been lurking on this thread. Can someone post a picture of the design yall are talking about? :hmm:

Glenn do you need a copy of the "Backwoodsman" underhammer too or ? Will send out as soon as you PM me. Fred :hatsoff:

Back