• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti replacement cylinders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Uberti did make them. Used them on their Reb 60 .36 model with brass frame. Also used on early steel frame 1851 Navy .36.

Sometimes these cylinders are on ebay. Others may have better information on other sources.

p.s. Checked Uberti section on vti gun parts .com and did not find the un-engraved cylinders.

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt reply. I checked & 870860 is for a 1858 Remington & unfortunately, I am looking for an unengraved clyinder for an Uberti Colt. Numrich does have both new & used cylinders for the Colt but they are engraved. I am hoping to replace the (incorrectly) engraved cylinder on an Uberti Leech & Rigdon.

Yes, Uberti did make them. Used them on their Reb 60 .36 model with brass frame. Also used on early steel frame 1851 Navy .36.

Sometimes these cylinders are on ebay. Others may have better information on other sources.

p.s. Checked Uberti section on vti gun parts .com and did not find the un-engraved cylinders.
Good info! Thanks, I'm not looking for one right now, but it's nice to have reference.

Forgot about the Leech & Rigdon having the plain, un-engraved cylinder.

Went to Numrich and found the cylinder below they describe as " Police ". Might be what would work but is expensive. Perhaps you can try contacting them for clarification.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/287870

My experience swapping cylinders around is they often do not just drop in and work properly. The newer CNC machined cylinders are probably much more likely to swap into other CNC produced revolvers. YMMV :thumb:

Last edited:
Dixie has/had? the unengraved Leech & Rigdon cylinder as an "off catalog " item you had to call about .

I had one, however, we're talking 2010.

I would think it shouldn't be hard to get a cylinder with no engraving out of Uberti.

Those unengraved cylinders are a little pricey :eek:, I can remember buying a new brass Navy with an unengraved cylinder for $100 less that the price of the cylinder.

The engraving can be removed by mounting the cylinder of an arbor and putting that in a lathe or drill. While spinning it as fast as your setup will safely allow bear down hard with a hard smooth steel object (shank of a screwdriver). This will force the raised part of the roll engraving back down and then take a smooth flat file to it till the engraving disappears. Finish with emery cloth and polishing compound and reblue. The arbor can be a snug fitting bolt with a couple of washers and a nut. If needed shim the bolt with tape or aquarium tubing.

Those unengraved cylinders are a little pricey :eek:, I can remember buying a new brass Navy with an unengraved cylinder for $100 less that the price of the cylinder.

The only unengraved cylinder I have found so far is the "Police" cylinder mentioned by an earlier poster. Yes, they are pricey - to the point that I am likely better off buying an unengraved gun on sale, confirming that the cylinder fits & then either parting out the sale gun or selling it with the engraved cylinder to someone who only wants a shooter & doesn't care about the historical inaccuracy.

Forgot about the Leech & Rigdon having the plain, un-engraved cylinder.

Went to Numrich and found the cylinder below they describe as " Police ". Might be what would work but is expensive. Perhaps you can try contacting them for clarification.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/287870

My experience swapping cylinders around is they often do not just drop in and work properly. The newer CNC machined cylinders are probably much more likely to swap into other CNC produced revolvers. YMMV :thumb:
That's a good comment about the CNC stuff. Makes sense.

The engraving can be removed by mounting the cylinder of an arbor and putting that in a lathe or drill. While spinning it as fast as your setup will safely allow bear down hard with a hard smooth steel object (shank of a screwdriver). This will force the raised part of the roll engraving back down and then take a smooth flat file to it till the engraving disappears. Finish with emery cloth and polishing compound and reblue. The arbor can be a snug fitting bolt with a couple of washers and a nut. If needed shim the bolt with tape or aquarium tubing.
I kind of thought there was a way to remove the engraving; it's not all that deep; I'm sure others will suggest some techniques, too.

Back