• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1860 wedge question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronrryan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
New 1860 just disassembled to clean prior to shooting. Withdrew wedge per instructions. Reassembly stymied as wedge will not return--hangs up because inner wedge spring jams on right side slot, it looks like this inner retention spring should have a bevel to allow passage. I appreciate advice from the experts as to what next? Return? File wedge spring? (I am not much on metalwork) Thanks for help, Ron in FL

Ron,

Give me a couple of minutes to go get mine and I'll talk you through it. I own several Uberti Colts, and I don't memorize which side the wedges go in from for each model.

Dave

Muzzle forward, goes left to right, as it came out-of-the-box. It is retained from complete release by a small screw, which I removed temporarily to withdraw the wedge and examine the retainer inner spring. Puzzler. Thanks for any suggestions, Ron

ronrryan said:
New 1860 just disassembled to clean prior to shooting. Withdrew wedge per instructions. Reassembly stymied as wedge will not return--hangs up because inner wedge spring jams on right side slot, it looks like this inner retention spring should have a bevel to allow passage. I appreciate advice from the experts as to what next? Return? File wedge spring? (I am not much on metalwork) Thanks for help, Ron in FL

Ron,

That wedge goes in from the left side, with the spring facing up. Use a little oil to lube it, then press the spring into the slot from the left side (where the screw goes). Compress the spring as you slide the wedge into the slot. The spring should come out of the other side of the barrel just enough to "pop" up to normal position. I do this with the barrel screw removed because it works better for me. Also do this with the hammer down on a nipple. Then re-install the barrel screw, using a drop of oil on the threads.

Lastly, using the hammer, bring the revolver into battery (full-cock) to make sure that everything works and you have clearance between the forcing cone on the barrel and the chamber mouths on the cylinder. Some light oil on that space as well makes for an easier time of it.

Let me know if you're all set!

Dave

Dave, appreciate the help. It may be just that everything is new, there appears to be a minute burr on the retainer spring that is reluctant to pass through the slot on reassembly, it requires a rap of a plastic hammer to get it in. It's difficult to depress the little spring as it goes in without buggering things up. All back together now, next step is to make smoke. Thanks, Ron

ronrryan said:
Dave, appreciate the help. It may be just that everything is new, there appears to be a minute burr on the retainer spring that is reluctant to pass through the slot on reassembly, it requires a rap of a plastic hammer to get it in. It's difficult to depress the little spring as it goes in without buggering things up. All back together now, next step is to make smoke. Thanks, Ron

New revolvers are more finicky since they haven't had a chance to "break-in" yet. You'll notice as time passes and you use your revolver and clean it, that it will go together a little easier down the road. It's not uncommon to have to do exactly what you did. In fact, that was the next course of action I was going to tell you to try, but you beat me to it :thumbsup: .

FWIW I use a 27 grain charge of 3Fg Goex, a pre-lubed wonder-wad and a .454 Hornady ball. My stock nipples that came on the gun use #10 caps. This is one of the most accurate revolvers on the line at our League shoots. May you have many happy times with yours!

All the best!

Dave

Hey Guys,
I'm very glad Ron asked that question. It dawned on me that I'd been putting my wedge in from the right side. I've sure learned a lot from y'all. Thank you one and all. You've helped me in many ways. Great site and forum. MJD

Your welcome, and thanks for the kuddos!

I had to take a look at mine before I wrote him back and told him the wrong answer. Some Colts, like my Walker, go in from the right. Others don't.

Glad that you're enjoying the Forum!

Dave

Dave,

The only Colt that loads the wedge from the right side is the Walker; all others load from the left.

mykeal,

Thanks for the info! Now that you mention it, my 3rd Model Dragoon is the same direction as my 1860 Army. I don't shoot & clean the Dragoon as much as I do the Walker.

Thanks again!

Dave

Remove the retaining screw and pull the wedge out completely. File a SLIGHT chamfer on the nose of the spring. It should then work. Unless its too misshapen. Second choice is to call Uberti USA and complain.

Dan

So what is the official word with these Uberti tolerances? If the wedge on my Uberti 1860 Army is pushed past flush of the barrel (the little spring cannot hook or flip up) the entire action locks up. As long as its just flush, and I mean just, with the rounded edge inside the barrel a little, the action works just fine. Should I have sent this back to Uberti when I bought it? Otherwise the revolver has great timing and is a keeper, as long as its safe to shoot? Sorry to hijack, this whole wedge thing confuses me

Use it as it is.
Don't install the wedge so it is protruding. Doing so gains you nothing and looses the ability of the gun to work correctly.

There is no reason for the little spring to engage the far side of the barrel as its real reason for existing is to keep the wedge from being lost when it is pushed out of the cylinder pin when removing the barrel.

Actually, because the wedge and the slot thru the cylinder pin will wear over the years from disassembling and reassembling the barrel, you can look on your guns "problem" as being a bonus as by having this condition it will be many years before the wedge needs to be replaced.

I have a new unfired nickel and gold plated 1851 Navy that does the same thing..If I tap the wedge thru with the handle of a plastic screwdriver too far the cyl will not rotate till I tap it back out just a touch..I figured it was because of the nickle plating on mine though..I have a new unfired standard 1851 Navy that the wedge goes all the way thru and latches and the cyl rotates just fine..Mine are Pietta (Cabela's).. :idunno:

Back