• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Grentus

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Friends, I own an 1860 Uberti Army 44 cal revolver and am having trouble keeping the percussion caps on the cylinder nipples. After almost every shot, they seem to fall off and get caught in the weapon.
I'm not sure of the number. Could be 11s and maybe I need size 10 caps? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
gh

I use #10's in any of my Uberti and Pietta C&B revolvers that still have the factory nipples. For revolver I shoot on a regular basis, I've installed Treso Ampco nipples. They're made to fit #11 caps.

I also use the Ampco Bronze nipples, and combined with the #11 CCI Magnum caps they work excellent.

glenhunter said:
Friends, I own an 1860 Uberti Army 44 cal revolver and am having trouble keeping the percussion caps on the cylinder nipples. After almost every shot, they seem to fall off and get caught in the weapon.
I'm not sure of the number. Could be 11s and maybe I need size 10 caps? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
gh
If you are using #11 caps switch to #10s should help. Go and watch "duelist1954" (Mike Beliveau) on YouTube he has some videos on the subject.
I use to live in NJ and did a lot of fishing on the Flatbrook and other popular streams in the northern part of the state :) - sure do miss it :( .

Assuming your using #11 caps, the #10's should fix most of the problems.

#10 caps are about the same diameter as #11's but they are longer.

Because they are longer, they fit down towards the bottom of the nipple cone where it is larger in diameter.

If the #10 caps don't fix the problem, you can pinch the caps to make them a bit out of round.

The cone on the nipple will round them up and hold them better.

As far as pinching the open end so it is out of round, this is not really dangerous.
I've run a number of experiments and found that the priming compound will not detonate from slowly crushing it (like when you pinch the caps). It takes a quick, stout blow to get it to fire.

What about the folks that claim pinching caps increases likelihood of chain fire? I do it and have no problem myself. Your right about the cone helping straighten em out though...just dont make to oval I guess :idunno:

I have pinched caps, probably 90% of the time, for years on Colts, Remingtons, Rogers & Spencer and Spiller & Burr and never had a chain fire. Its become such a habit that I probably coudn't load a rvolver without doing it anymore.

I use Remington No. 10s on Slix-Shot nipples, but the No. 10s did fine on the stock nipples as well. Never had one come off.

azmntman said:
What about the folks that claim pinching caps increases likelihood of chain fire? I do it and have no problem myself. Your right about the cone helping straighten em out though...just dont make to oval I guess :idunno:
I think there is a very remote possibility of the flame from the back of the chamber being fired to somehow find its way up between the outside of the nipple and the inside of the cap and then turn the 180 degree corner to get into the nipple hole but it is very unlikely.

The idea that installing a over-sized cap after pinching it and a resulting in a chain fire was, in my opinion, dreamed up by someone without any evidence of proof.

IMO, a more likely scenario is, the cap on the chamber that chain fired came off of the nipple, leaving the end open and exposed to the flames from the firing chamber.

Being somewhat paranoid, I often visually check the caps on the nipples after I've fired my C&B revolvers and more than a few times I've found that the guns recoil and air blast from the firing chamber has somehow dislodged a cap or two on the adjacent chambers.
This happens if the cap is a loose fit and I forgot to pinch it. :grin:

To complicate things it's not just #11 or #10 caps it's the brand of cap as well. Remington #10 caps are not the same size as CCI #10. There is a chart someplace on the web that shows the differences.

I use Remington #11 on my two Uberti revolvers stock nipples with no problems. YMMV.

Back