• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Types of leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am trying my hand at making a few things from leather. While looking at what is available in leather I see there is a lot of types of leather. I understand weights, I think, but what about some of the other descriptions? What are saddle skirts for example? Aside from the weights are there other properties that make certain leathers better for some uses and not so good at others?
Thanks ahead of time.

Howdy - Here's some info regarding leather -
Veg/Bark Tanned:
Price reflects quality in two ways - where it was tanned (generally either USA or South American/Mexican - there are European tanned hides as well and they are normally premium quality) and the grade. Of the two most commonly tanned hides, USA tanned (Wicket & Craig, Herman Oak, Howes, Wes-Tan, etc.)is normally the best tanning, but you can get good SA/Mex. Grade is based on how "clean" the face of the hide is i.e how free of range marks and brands as well as how tight the back or flesh side is.(just as important as a good face.) No hide is totally free of range marks and frankly as long as the hide is not badly scarred I like them as they add "character". Brands can be cut around, but they do take up space, but hides with brands are normally less expensive.

leathercut.jpg

1) IMO don't even bother with bellies. On the chart above cuts F/H and G/I are the bellies.

2) Shoulders/premium shoulders: Same animal basically. Probably the most used Veg-tan leather for sheath/holster making - the most bang for the buck normally due to size and lack of belly leather along the edges. Difference between the two is quality based on grade as explained above. Referring to the chart above: Double shoulders (average 14-16 sq ft) = parts A, B, C, F, & G. Trimmed shoulders have parts A, F, & G trimmed off. A single shoulder is half of a double shoulder.

3) Nature-Tand, Oak Leaf, etc. - proprietary names for various lines of veg-tanned hides.

4) Saddle Skirting: heavy weight (10+ ounces) veg-tan sides normally used for making saddles. It is finished by the tanneries with a bit more oil so that it retains it's flexibility. It is thicker than necessary for most knife sheath work, although for big Bowies or swords it can be the thing to use.

5) Kip is a hide from a large calf rather than a mature cow. Usually comes in lighter weights only and I have noticed when using it that the grain is usually not quite as tight as cow hide.

6) Sides: The most common cut/size of leather sold average 20-24 sq ft. A side is half of a full hide split longitudinally along the line between B/C, D/E. Trimmed sides have the belly sections cut off.

7) Back or Bends: The cleanest most even (and therefore most expensive) part of a hide consists of sections D & E. Hope this helps.

Carving or stamping requires the same quality hide.

Other leathers:
such as chap hide, modern buckskin, elk hide, garment leather, etc. is generally "soft" tanned using the chrome tanned method.

There are other specialty tans: brain/smoke tan, oil tan, re-tan, latigo, etc.

While on the subject of leather........Where can I purchase good leather for projects like possibles bag, etc.? I used to get it from Tandy Leather, but the local store closed up & there doesn't seem to be any place else around here that I know of.

Thanks

Here are some of the suppliers I use and recommend...
Veg Tan Leather
Wickett & Craig - www.wickett-craig.com

Veg Tan & Chrome Tan Leather
Demers Leather - www.demersleather.com

Dyes, leather, hardware:
Siegel of Ca - www.siegelofca.com
Leather Factory/Tandy

Tools: Cheap but OK:
Leather Factory/Tandy - the Craftsman brand

Tools: Better: Osborne Tools, leather, & Linen Thread
Mid-Continent Leather Sales Company (800) 926-2061 - these are the folks to get linen handsewing thread from as well - Barbour's 5 cord left hand twist is a good all purpose thread)
Leather Factory/Tandy and Siegel also sell Osborne tools

Tools: Best:
Jeremiah Watt - www.ranch2arena.com
Expensive but worth it - made by a master saddle maker and a heck of a nice guy!

Hi Bald Mountain Man......Well it seems that even we smoke pole shooters and re-enactors have access to computers, so in answer to your question, one of the best places to buy leather that I have found is E-bay. Just type in hide leather, leather hides or craft leather. You'll find plenty of available leathers from upholstery leathers to tooling leathers to hides of all weights and colors. There are also suppliers of leather tools, and the numerous supplies needed by the avid leatherworker. Lots of luck
:m2c:

Thank you. Very good info. Does there seem to be a lot of difference in price from one supplier to the next for comparable leather? Is Tandy a good place to buy leather? I got one of those about an hour away in Syracuse.

Sorry Keith, :sorry:
I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Do you know exactly where the Tandy Leather is in Syracuse? That's only about an hour away from me too.
Thanks

Amazing! I was just thinking about asking a question about leather and this thread shows up. However, my question (and I am exposing my ignorance here)has to do with the different types of tanning. What is the difference between brain, smoke, vegetable, chrome tanning?

Yea What he said I could use a little education on the different types of leather and why some are better for knives and others aren't for instance!

YMH&OS, :redthumb:
Chuck

No sweat. It is on South Salina Street. Tandy's website gives the exact address. I don't know the city well and went there once in a snowstorm, so I won't try to give you directions, I can tell you it is way south in the city and close to 81. When I left I got back on 81, Northbound, about two miles north of the store, that exit is just off Salina St.
Oh yeah, the neighborhood is a little shady. When I told some guys I work with I was looking for the store on South Salina I was advised to bring my gun. :eek: It was a snowstorm when I was there so I couldn't tell you much more about the neighborhood. Everything was buried under a foot of the white stuff.

I stopped dealing with Tandy when they opened a location in North Carolina...started charging me a sales tax...I've just bought some stuff from a place called "The Leather Warehouse" they're in Wisconsin...found 'em on line...very pleased with the quality and the price...I bought a bundle of 'scraps" and got 5 good sized pieces of good leather..pieces about 2 ft long, 1 foot wide or so...
Hank

I have a friend named Keith, who goes locally by the name of "The Leather Guy". I don't get any kick-backs or anything, he's just a friend that I trust. His supply varies, but he can usually get what you need. You can reach him at: [email protected]

Tell him Riley sent ya.

Back